It's a mystery...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emma123

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I go to bed with 14 peppered cory eggs in my breeding net and I have now woken to find absolutely nothing left.. they were at the bottom so no snails could get to them.. they could have hatched because it was that time but even the white infertile egg has gone.. I have heard of fish sucking them through the bottom of nets but I wouldn't have expected to get them all if this was the case as they were scattered about... pleaseeeee help!

Next time I'm going to put the eggs in a solid plastic breeding trap and see what happens then... I have another mystery if your able to help.. my two platy's have been pregnant for what must nearly be 2 months.. I know this is not normal but what would cause them to hold onto their young? I've tried them in the breeding net where they seemed totally relaxed and still they didn't drop :/

Here's some pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130116_152100.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_152100.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20130116_152224.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_152224.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 103
  • ForumRunner_20130116_152255.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_152255.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20130116_152529.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_152529.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 88
They def look super prego unfortunatley I don't know of anyways to get them to drop them until they are ready :/ maybe someone else may chime in who knows I do just about everything but breed fishso its not my area of expertise

Well at least they're not just fat lol.. thanks for your input anyways :)

Here's some pics

Mine look exactly like that! I keep thinking they must be pregnant and about to drop, especially they've been acting weird lately. One in particular is ALWAYS hiding in the castle decor I have (a cave bottom). It kind of upsets me to see them act so strange, I wish they would just drop and get it over with. :p

Mine look exactly like that! I keep thinking they must be pregnant and about to drop, especially they've been acting weird lately. One in particular is ALWAYS hiding in the castle decor I have (a cave bottom). It kind of upsets me to see them act so strange, I wish they would just drop and get it over with. :p

Yeah one of mine is hiding in the plants a bit and there are lots of little dots near her anal fin.. the gestation period is meant to be about 28days

Right, but since livebearers store sperm I have no idea when that might have started. :confused: I don't even have any males!

Right, but since livebearers store sperm I have no idea when that might have started. :confused: I don't even have any males!

Oh Blimey.. mine have been noticeably fat for about a month and a half so they are defo past their due date..

When the guppies get like that, they seem to nip and pick at whatever bit of green algae is around; I end up giving them floating algae wafers from tetra. They seem to pop fry out better that way. Perhaps it may work with yours?

When the guppies get like that, they seem to nip and pick at whatever bit of green algae is around; I end up giving them floating algae wafers from tetra. They seem to pop fry out better that way. Perhaps it may work with yours?

That's interesting, because mine have been attacking the algae wafers I've been attempting to feed my bristlenose. Of course, they hid away ALL day today. :( I think it might have been because my cat made an attack on the tank this morning and scared the crap out of them. :hide:

Maybe they are just "ballon" plates. They have these at my LFS, along with ballon mollies.
One way to tell if your girl is pregnant is to look for the gravid spot. The further along she is the darker the spot (right above the anal fin) will get. The gravid spot is the pigmentation from the fry eyes.

Maybe they are just "ballon" plates. They have these at my LFS, along with ballon mollies.
One way to tell if your girl is pregnant is to look for the gravid spot. The further along she is the darker the spot (right above the anal fin) will get. The gravid spot is the pigmentation from the fry eyes.

I know they're not balloon platy's.. they used to be thin and all the males are normal.. there are small dark dots around the mickey mouse platy's anal fin but they are sort of dotted about.

I know they're not balloon platy's.. they used to be thin and all the males are normal.. there are small dark dots around the mickey mouse platy's anal fin but they are sort of dotted about.

That's the way my guppy was when she was getting pretty close. One thing I read, which worked for me, was to separate the female from everyone else. I used a 1-gal tank I had as a spare and put her in that. Also, keep it dark in the tank the pregnant female is in. She may hold off for a little while, Mina was about a week to a week and a half, but it worked for me. Just keep the water clean for her. Maybe give this a try too, if she doesn't pop real soon.

And simply for entertainment purposes, I had my female in the 1-gal next to the male in their home tank. When she started giving birth, he was at the side of their tank closest to her birth tank and would not leave. He followed her up and down the whole time. It looked like he was trying to coach her, to be honest. But then when she was done and I put her in the main guppy tank the next morning, they greeted each other with more love making. Guppies. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom