i've got a serious problem, baby corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
a few weeks ago, i posted about some eggs, someone said it could have been my cordoras, but i never saw the fry... until 45 seconds ago!!! it was hanging out of my columbian tetra's mouth, i chased him, and netted the baby...

1 cm long... but no other sign of any more... but the smaller corydora, (probably female) is staying in the rock, could the babies be in there, and what do I do if i see more, and want to keep them? just to try raising fry? i have a torn down 10 gallon, it prpbably couldnt be set up in any kind of time?

edit: I looked, and there are eggs all over the surrounding rocks near their "cave" that haven't hatched, im assuming the other fish are getting them before I ever see them... any good way to approach this?

I've bred bronze corydoras before. The female is usually larger than the male. Raising the fry can be done although I've never tried it in a community tank. I suggest you set up the 10 gallon tank, using a sponge filter for filtration, and move the adult corydoras as well as the fry into the tank. I recommend feeding them Liquifry until they are a few weeks old then switching over to Fry Bites. Of course they will also like frozen baby brine shrimp.

will the corys keep breeding?

is there a way to net half the tank, or less, like a divider? imthinking to move everything will be too much work?

Contact guppyman on this website. He gave me a ton of information regarding rearing corydoras. He happens to be friends with Ian Fuller, who some consider "The Man" regarding corydoras fish.

Liggs

I wish my corys would have fry. Hrm...got 3 in a tank, but can't tell if they're M/F or both. :roll:

The more corys you have, the greater chance of having a breeding pair. My lfs guys always say I need six of any fish to ensure a male and female. I don't know if this is statistically accurate or just a sales pitch, but I am leaning towards the former since the lfs guys are pretty legit.

From what I've read (and it's a lot), almost any corycats will breed, but some are more difficult to get to spawn than others. A text that has a lot of information on the subject was by David Sands and titled "South American Catfish", I think. Of course, knowledge gained from reading is not nearly as useful as that gained from experience, so contact people that have experience, such as guppy man.

My corydoras paleatus spawn regulary (about every two weeks), but only if I have been conditioning them (feeding high quality live or frozen foods) and maintain the water quality. I also think that Spring is the best time for these particular cats, as the low-barometric readings from the Spring storms seem to coincide with successful spawns.

Google "corydoras breeding" and you should come up with a ton of hits, some good, some crappy. I think that anything from www.thekrib.com is usually good, as well as www.aquarticles.com.

Liggs

Back
Top Bottom