jack dempsey fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d1anonly22

Aquarium Advice Freak
my jack dempseys third batch of fry. this time i let mom and dad raise them, were i normaly raise them in a seperate tank. this is there second day out and they are all swimming.

the water level is so low because it gets so hot here and i have been lazy and no they dont eat their fry. in one of the vids you can kind of see the mom sucking up her fry to put them back in the nest area. a lot of cichlids do this i forget what its called.

sell them, i usually sell them to the lfs. or to any fish keeper thats interested. i still have one from the first batch that i always feed hikari gold pellets, and he has some amazing coloring.

Really neat! I love when my Bolivian Rams spawn. I never get tired of watching them take care of their fry. :) SA cichlids are the best parents! The way they will go after a single fry who swam away from the group, catch it and spit it back into the swarm. So awesome!

I always leave the eggs with the parents and only move some to a grow out tank after they start to free swim. I have noticed tho that the biggest and strongest fry are the ones that stay with the parents until they are about a month old. I just put a divider in my main tank.

Where did they put them when they were wigglers? My Rams lost about 4 batches of wigglers when I had a big substrate like that. The fry just wiggled down into the rock and the parents could not get them out! Since switching to sand this no longer happens.

well first the parents had a batch just outside their cave, then my pleco ate the eggs, then they cleared out the substrate that was in their cave after i put my pleco in my uncles 1500 gallon pond, and then they had a batch in the cave i didnt know about till they brought them out and none of witch were swimming yet but the next day they all were. i have seen some fry dig into the subsrtate but they always find their way out. like i siad normmally i raise them myself because mom and dad ate the first two batches but so far they are protecting them with all their mite from my melanochromis johannii, and my melanochromis aruatus. i love to watch them to and your right mom goes after a single fry, she seems to chase them down all day. but i have seen two personally get eaten by my melanochromis aruatus, but im sure there has been other casualtys that i havent seen. but out of all their batches this one has produced the most.

Back
Top Bottom