Jack Dempsey Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to give an update on my fry! They are one week and one day old. I have about 200 (very rough estimate). They are all over the place. The parents are amazing and from what I have researched I have to find the right time to separate them from the babies or they will eat em. I found a great deal on a new tank on Craigslist, 55 gal with all accessories and stand for $100... So I will have a home for them in a few weeks once I am ready to move em, then eventually as they began to grow I have to find them homes.

So my question is when is a good time to move em? From what I have read they need this already established tank to feed on for a while, so how do I move em?

Sorry my iPad doesn't have the best camera so the babies look like a blur. They are tiny, the size of ants!

Attachments

• image-533385412.jpg
    image-533385412.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3647362017.jpg
    image-3647362017.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 102
Wow cool fry and jack dempseys! Are they with anyone else?

if they are in the tank alone you could leave them there for a few weeks till the pair try to spawn again. it's best to leave them as long as possible if the parents are good to them, since moving them safely can be kinda tricky.

Candi1990 said:
No I took everyone else out of the tank. Thanks!

Yes that is exactly what I am going to do. Then I will move the parents and leave the babies with the tank they are use to being in.

jetajockey said:
if they are in the tank alone you could leave them there for a few weeks till the pair try to spawn again. it's best to leave them as long as possible if the parents are good to them, since moving them safely can be kinda tricky.

Yes that is what I am doing. Then I will move the parents and leave the babies in their tank. I hope they don't mate again!

Candi1990 said:
Yes that is what I am doing. Then I will move the parents and leave the babies in their tank. I hope they don't mate again!

Oh Lord do you wants JD? I don't have the heart to get rid of the eggs, and I can't let them eat the babies either. But what do I do with all the fish! No one takes em around here!

jetajockey said:
I guess try to give them away in your local classifieds, not sure. Most people allow nature to take its course by letting other fish eat the fry.

I know I can't do it. I hope I can find homes for em. I am not trying to make money off of em. I may have to give one of the parents away. Idk

You might be able to give them to a LFS for free, the petco always here always has convict fry and Jack Dempsey fry for adoption. The problem is there are not a lot of people who have aquariums big enough for them. Yours will probably have babies every 2 weeks or so if you do not split them up.

darkmatter_3500 said:
You might be able to give them to a LFS for free, the petco always here always has convict fry and Jack Dempsey fry for adoption. The problem is there are not a lot of people who have aquariums big enough for them. Yours will probably have babies every 2 weeks or so if you do not split them up.

The guy at Petco said he would adopt them out. But I have never seen them in there! How I know he isn't selling em? Idk. I hope your wrong on the breeding! Bit my research says your right.

Oh Lord do you wants JD? I don't have the heart to get rid of the eggs, and I can't let them eat the babies either. But what do I do with all the fish! No one takes em around here!

Surely a classified ad in craigs list will generate some people who would like a JD. Congrats! By the way, where is "here"?

dlongbeach said:
Surely a classified ad in craigs list will generate some people who would like a JD. Congrats! By the way, where is "here"?

Longview Texas please say you are near me and want 50 fish!

Back
Top Bottom