jack dempsey sex. please help!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
24263-albums632-picture4416.jpg

Any idea on these two? I have them in a 40 gallon by themselves (recently removed convicts). The one on the right is a good year older which might explain the larger size. I was hoping to mate them, but I'm afraid they're both female b/c they both seem to have several blue dots on their gill covers. So far they've shown very little aggression towards each other and sometimes rub their fins against each other. I added a clay pot to encourage mating. The larger fish is about 6" right now, the smaller is maybe 3-4". Any advice on their sex?
photo.jpg

they kind of both look like male to me, but the big one may be a female, can you get a pic of there sexual organs? their vents i believe they are called, i will compare them to some other pics and be able to give you a better answer. you can private message me Top.

Jack Dempsey Sexing

Thanks for the assitance d1anonly22. I tried to take some more pictures, but they obviously don't like my iphone camera. The photos are below. The only reason I would think the larger one is a male is because it had some sort of special relationship with a female convict cichlid we previously had in the tank. They showed mating behavior several times. The smaller of the
Jacks shows more variation in its coloring. During high tension moments (head-to-heads with the female convict) the small jack's stripes will become noticeably darker (similar to what the convicts do). The small jack can seem to darken its entire body color at will. They're both pretty peaceful fish, but I'm definitely interested in figuring out whats what. The larger one is only about a year and 3 mos old. It seemed to grow extremely quickly to quite a large size. Let me know if I can take any other photos or provide any additional info. Thanks again!
photo.jpg

photo%20%281%29.jpg

photo%20%282%29.jpg

photo%20%283%29.jpg

photo%20%284%29.jpg

the bigger one is a male, but i really think the smaller one might be too. have you seen the pics of my female, look at the coloring on her chin thats what your looking for in a female.
picture.php
this is my female.

Back
Top Bottom