Jack dempsey sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will post pic. but is it true about pointed fins? He is a juvenile fishie! I think one is pointed and anal fin is round so I'm confused.
Dempsey*

my male jack had long pointy fins, had very bright colors. if u post a pic i could help you, but it may be hard because he is a juvie.

gman42 said:
my male jack had long pointy fins, had very bright colors. if u post a pic i could help you, but it may be hard because he is a juvie.

Ok I will! Maybe hour or less.

Pics of him hard to catch !

Attachments

• image-3204434788.jpg
    image-3204434788.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 128
Sexing dempseys

If the fish is less than 4 1/2"-5" then sexing is going to be a bit tricky. Normally, at that size, the male will have more color and a longer dorsal and anal fin than a female. Side by side comparison makes this easy to see. Smaller fish tend to sometimes show a pointed dorsal but in reality, it's just the fin not fully extended. How big is the fish in the picture?

He is near 3 1/2 inches couldnt really measure him good.

Well then....

He is near 3 1/2 inches couldnt really measure him good.

It really isn't an ideal fish to sex at this time.
If you are looking to breed this fish, your best bet would be to get about 3 or 4 more the same size as this one and let it pair off naturally. Hopefully, by adding so many you'd be adding males and females. Worst case scenario is that you would have a tank load of one gender so there shouldn't be much fighting going on for breeding rights. Any fighting would be over territories so make sure the tank is big enough to handle that many fish.
If this is not an option, you'd need to wait a bit until your fish grows more and shows (or doesn't show) his/ her true colors. Once you know for sure, you can purchase the opposite gender and start your breeding program.

Just keep in mind that the male will have better colors and longer finnage than a female. (FYI: There are some who report that males have that black spot in their tail area as well as a more defined spot in the middle of their body. Yours seems to have the tail spot but not the defined middle spot so it's too ambiguous to give a definite answer.)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

Back
Top Bottom