Jag laid some eggs. JD is looking pretty suspicious.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhetor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey there guys!

My giant Pacu was moved out of the 125g, and about a day later the Jag and the Jack Dempsey began fighting.

They were lip locking and argueing and what not, so i kept a close watch on them, and reorganized the tank and added a bunch of caves and hidden pvc pipe fittings, etc.

Then the Jag laid a bunch of eggs. So i think i found out why they were lip locking 8O :oops:

I don't know if the eggs are fertile though. The Jag won't let JD any where near the eggs. She is very protective of them, but the JD is very curious as to what is going on over there. I am not sure if she let the JD fertilize them or not.

The eggs were 18 hours old when the picture was taken and they are almost 24 hours old now and they look the same.

Are they fertile? There are about 12 that are solid white looking, the rest are all clearish with a pink tint to them. They look much pinker than the picture shows.

Attachments

• dvc00341_137.jpg
    dvc00341_137.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 35
  • dvc00335_805.jpg
    dvc00335_805.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 44
So how are the eggs doing now?
No idea if they are fertile, but I would like to make a comment. If they are fertile and you can raise the fry, what would you do with them? It's higly unlikely that any lfs would take crossbreeds from a jag and dempsey.

I'd be pretty fearful of any viable JD/Jag progeny if I were a fish!

Back
Top Bottom