Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Julii cories eggs

I have 3 julii cories, 5 neon tetras and 2 otocinclus catfish in my 20 gallon planted tank. My cories have been showing breeding behavior and sometimes I find a few eggs. From what I have read cories lay at least 20 eggs on the glass, plants etc, but I only see a couple of eggs here and there. Is it possible that the other fish are eating the eggs before I can see them? Is there anything I can do to encourage more eggs being laid and how can I find them faster?
Thanks!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

When my Corys lay eggs and the other fish eat them there is still a residue , a spot if you will , where the egg was . I have to scrape them off when I clean the glasses . If you don't see that then they are laying on plants,rocks,etc or they are just not laying that many eggs .

Old 09-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #3

Thanks. I have noticed that residue on the glass where I found a couple of eggs once. Also the eggs sheís laying have all turned white, which means the eggs arenít fertilized. Hmm, donít know what to do about that?
Old 09-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My Julii cory's lay only a few eggs (5ish) at a time. My female JUST came into maturity tho.

Ive gotten about 18 frys but only have 4 left due to issues with my breeder net falling into the tank and my other fish having a tiny snack. Really upsetting but it happens.

Its a good idea to make a breeders net with acrylic yarn. The cory's love laying their eggs in those, then you just move the net to your breeder net or other tank for the eggs to hatch. Keep moving water over the eggs though so fungus doesnt attack them. You are right about white eggs. Just keep an eye out cause thats on your males if the eggs are white. They may not be ready yet but your female is.

Here is a picture of a breeder net, google how to make them.

Heres my little group before they became food

Heres a video I got of one of my eggs, you can see its heartbeat and its tail flick at the end.
https://i.imgur.com/ogPrOMt.mp4
Old 09-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokilow View Post
My Julii cory's lay only a few eggs (5ish) at a time. My female JUST came into maturity tho.

Ive gotten about 18 frys but only have 4 left due to issues with my breeder net falling into the tank and my other fish having a tiny snack. Really upsetting but it happens.

Its a good idea to make a breeders net with acrylic yarn. The cory's love laying their eggs in those, then you just move the net to your breeder net or other tank for the eggs to hatch. Keep moving water over the eggs though so fungus doesnt attack them. You are right about white eggs. Just keep an eye out cause thats on your males if the eggs are white. They may not be ready yet but your female is.

Here is a picture of a breeder net, google how to make them.

Heres my little group before they became food

Heres a video I got of one of my eggs, you can see its heartbeat and its tail flick at the end.

https://i.imgur.com/ogPrOMt.mp4

They are so cool!! Iím so jelly!! Good ideas all around!! I got an egg tumbler and it works well for getting moving water around the eggs. Now those men need to stop shooting blanks!! Ha ha
Old 09-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well she needs to find the right one to suck off!

I have 6 corys in my tank. I only know for sure one is female since shes plump and has been laying the eggs. Hopefully I have one more female that just hasnt reached maturity yet but its kinda doubtful. Mine are still fairly young.

It might not hurt to pick up 2 more corys if you want to breed some. Just as long as they arent two females lol.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokilow View Post
Well she needs to find the right one to suck off!

I have 6 corys in my tank. I only know for sure one is female since shes plump and has been laying the eggs. Hopefully I have one more female that just hasnt reached maturity yet but its kinda doubtful. Mine are still fairly young.

It might not hurt to pick up 2 more corys if you want to breed some. Just as long as they arent two females lol.

I was just thinking that too. My quarantine tank is fully cycled!! Itís a challenge to figure out which is male and female at my LFS. So I think itís a crap shoot as to what you get. Itís easy to say females are fatter (now this is fat shaming the girl fish), but picking out the right sex as they are swimming around is very challenging.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

FYI those of you with Julii cats almost certainly have
Corydoras trilineatus
3 Lined Cory.

C. julii are quite rare in most areas. But they are sold as julii since they look similiar.

True julii have very fine spots, not reticulated lines and their nose is very rounded.

https://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

You must be a hoot at parties.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
FYI those of you with Julii cats almost certainly have
Corydoras trilineatus
3 Lined Cory.

C. julii are quite rare in most areas. But they are sold as julii since they look similiar.

True julii have very fine spots, not reticulated lines and their nose is very rounded.

https://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

I fail to see why you felt it important enough to point this out and yet didnít address my actual concern.

Tags
cories, egg, eggs, julii

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com