Just found corydora baby! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscusLvr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
I just found out the pair of corydoras I have are male and female as i just found a baby in my tank. Ive removed him/her and put in a 2.5g tank but i have no idea what to feed this little guy/girl or anything to keep him/her alive and thriving. I haven't found any other babies in the tank but since i didn't know they were even in there i wouldn't doubt it if my discus ate them :(. But id love to save this little guy/girl if u can. Any help would be awesome!

Green water possibly. Infusia or Rotifer
Catfish feed are invertebrate predators, herbivores, omnivores, and scavengers. Although at a younger age on sure certain nutrients are needed more then others.

I fed my cory cat fry powdered flake food by taking normal flakes, putting it in a baggie and using a rolling pin to achieve the powdered form.

When they are 1-2 weeks old, I take a sharp knife and scrape off frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp to go along with the flake foods.

I do not buy any special foods for them...I use what I normally have on hand.

I currently have about 200 peppered cory fry that are almost a month old and they are all healthy.

This is my 5 batch of fry.

Attachments

• march 24 001 (640x480).jpg
    march 24 001 (640x480).jpg
    205 KB · Views: 162
Sorry! My internet has been down. Gotta love comcast :)

Im currently feeding him a mix of powdered flake food and freeze dried brine shrimp. He's looking good and healthy so far. My corys have bred a few times since but i haven't been able to get the eggs out of the tank without breaking them. Can i put her in a breeder box when shes laying eggs? I want babies but i don't want to stress her out

Cories lay the eggs on the side of the glass right? It has been a while. I believe you are just suppose to roll the eggs up the side of the glass..

I don't know what kind of breeder box you are talking about, but she needs to have the male for external fertilization of the eggs.

Look on youtube for great breeding videos and helpful hints.

When breeding corys, I put them in a species only 20 gallon long that I have and remove the parents once the eggs are laid. They lay the eggs on whatever they can. After a few days, any eggs on the glass, I gently roll off with my finger so they sink to the bottom to hatch.

I don't know what kind of breeder box you are talking about, but she needs to have the male for external fertilization of the eggs.

When breeding corys, I put them in a species only 20 gallon long that I have and remove the parents once the eggs are laid. They lay the eggs on whatever they can. After a few days, any eggs on the glass, I gently roll off with my finger so they sink to the bottom to hatch.

The breeder box I have sets in the tank with the female inside. I figured the male fertilized the water and as long as the eggs are in the water they would be ok. But i seem to have an issue with the corys and other tankmates eating the eggs almost immediately after they are laid. Thats why i was considering a breeder box.

On another note the baby i found is doing great. I think when i found him he was about a month old and he's almost big enough to go back in the 20g and be reunited with mom and dad. Im holding off for another week just because my discus is a bit big and i want to be 100% sure he's not going to make a meal of my little one

Yeah, I wouldn't use a Breeder Box. It seems to me it would just stress the Cory out. And no, the male needs to be next to her to fertilize eggs.

Get a separate tank. Read up on breeding at Planet Catfish if you don't believe us. They are experts.

My club member breeds several Cory species. So I actually do know how it's done.

No breeder box.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read up on Planet Catfish and it makes sense what you're saying. I had the breeder box for platys and corys are a whole different ballgame. I plan on eventually setting up my 10g for them but all of my time and effort is being spend setting up a 75g right now so that will have to be put on my list of things to do for now.

Great your discus will love that 75 and you will get to see how much better they will be! Then you can use the 20 for a species only tank with your Cories! My profile pic is of my 75g discus tank! Could look a lot better but it's more so just to keep clean.

Great your discus will love that 75 and you will get to see how much better they will be! Then you can use the 20 for a species only tank with your Cories! My profile pic is of my 75g discus tank! Could look a lot better but it's more so just to keep clean.

Im so excited about getting it set up. Its a slow process though. Everything is expensive, but its coming along. Im going to set up a 10g for the Cories for now but setting up the 20g would be ideal.
Keeping the tank clean is going to be quite a task compared to my little 20g but its well worth it. Your tank looks great.

Update!

So while cleaning out my 2.5g i noticed some itty bitty bug things in there. So i got a good look at them and googled them and found out I've got a copepod called Cyclops in my tank with my fry. Everything I've read said they are harmless but my Cories are still kinda young and i was wondering if anyone had experience with these guys with fry of any sort. I don't want to freak out and super clean my tank if they really are harmless.

Corydoras internally fertilise the eggs, the female then places the eggs.
It is documented by many happening this way (see link post #4)

ok I have breed my cory cat fish and what I do is I take a small razor blade and scrape them off. it doesn't damage the tank however it does take some practice. I separate them in a hanging container with water from the main and a air line. I change the water at 50% 2 times a day until they hatch. then I take the babies and put them in another container I have in the main that floats on the top and has holes to circulate the water and an airline. when I can make out their bodies a bit I put them in a floating breeders pin. when they are 2 times as what they started they go into the 10g tank I have with neons and fancy guppies until the week before I sell them to my lfs. when they are ready and are close to 1/4 the parents size I put them in the 40g for a week. this is all based on experience and timing mostly hardship for 3 months but I had a break through when I found a emerald cory offspring in the 10g. after that its been going real good.

Back
Top Bottom