Kenyi keeps swallowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our Kenyi keeps swallowing her fry! The first batch she spit in the main tank before we could QT her. The second batch she swallowed right after we moved her. Last night we QTd her again since she has been holding for about 2 weeks. This morning her mouth is empty. It's getting frustrating. Do you think it's the stress of the move? We would like to try and raise Kenyi fry but it is difficult to net them from a 150T if we let her spit in the main tank.

Is shes a new mum? Would it be worth letting her spit in the tank a couple times for her to get used to holding full term?

I have similar with a latifasciata, every time I move her she swallows, i'm going to try one last time to move her, but if she does it again i'll let her spit in the tank for a while.

Yes, she is a new mother. Her first batch she spit in the tank the night before we were going to move her. I thought all the fry were gone, but then found 4 of them about a month later, hiding in the tank. They are now venturing out into open waters. It's pretty cute.

I had thought about getting a breeder net and putting her in it when she is about to spit. That way we can try and save some of the fry, but do not have to go through the stress of re-acclimation. We're going to move her back tomorrow. So hopefully in another 3 weeks we'll be ready for the next batch.

Sorry to hear about the frustration. The breeder net might be a good idea. I sympathize with trying to catch fry in a big tank. I spend 3 hours to catch some yellow fry. Got them but it was difficult.

Back
Top Bottom