Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

koi fry

Hi all. I got some koi fry from my uncle who has a pond full of koi. We only found three at the time. I have them in a ten gallon with a breeder net separating then from the larger fish. It also has a heater. Is there anything I need to know to take care of the fry or are they like other fry?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi again! I just responded on your other thread regarding the sick goldfish fish. You honestly need to return the koi to the pond immediately. As in today. Your 10g is not cycled and already overstocked with the tropicals. Adding a sick goldfish and three koi to mix will not end well for anyone. Koi do not belong in home aquaria (exception being a massive tank or indoor swimming pool) and the fry will suffer irreparably even trying to keep them there even very short term.

I am sorry to be the barer of bad news here but the responsible thing to do is to return the koi immediately. I would also suggest investing in a proper liquid test kit for your parameters as I suspect your ammonia levels are very high right now.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm so sorry. I am still sorta new to this thing. I have moved the goldfish out into a 20 gallon bin with filter and he is doing well and healing. I was worried about the baby koi because of how small they were but I found some mesh netting and I set up a small enclosure in my pond. I do have other fish in my pond like sbunkin goldfish and comets that I breed for my school. Yes my pond has a heater and a large filter. And thank you for your comment you prabably saved from a large, sad disaster!

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #4
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just stay on top of your water changes where the goldfish is and in your 10g. Neither are cycled so this is very important. Please ask any questions you may have!

The koi honestly should be given free movement in the pond unless you are making sure they are being fed multiple times a day. They need to be able to seek and find food. How large are they? New fry are barely larger than a hair and my guess is these guys avoided being eaten and were able to find sufficient food for quite awhile before you found them. Just something to consider!

Tags
fry, koi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com