kribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pair of kribs and I want to breed them. They have a little seashell in a 55g with 6 bronze cories and 12 cardinals. The male ventures out all the time while the female stays home. Sometimes they change shifts and the male stays home while the female leaves. She doesnt ever stay out more than 5 minutes and shes really timid. Her belly is still big and red and swollen as it has been for weeks. please help with some advice.:thanks:

Kribs like (at least) two things for breeding:

1. A cave with one entrance they can defend
2. A consistent roof upon which their eggs can be laid.

You might not realise that they've bred until you see mom come out of the cave surrounded by babies. They rear their fry quite well.

Cool. Mine have a seashell with a big entrance and then a small hole above it. The male doesnt fit in the small hole. The roof is curved

Mine took a while to get it just right. They'd lay their eggs, go through the whole process and then mom or dad would eat them. Finally had a few survive, after months of them trying. A lot of times the fish just aren't mature enough but find it instinctive to try anyway. Be patient, it seems to be one of the more prolific types. :)

I'd go ahead and move them. The sooner they settle in and get comfortable the better. Plus maybe it'll give them a little more time to get used to each other.

Ok. Their going to a 40 gallon with a sandy bottom, seashells, pvc, and lots of other cave like things. But what if their not right for each other? Shold I give them another male and female so they can choose?

If they seem to be spawning then they are likely compatible already. Another pair would cause a lot of territory issues. I'd at least give it a while and see how it works out. Like I said.. it took a lot of patience on my part before mine got it right. If nothing ever does occur then I'd do it. Sometimes takes a while to find a mate they actually like. My angel denied all others until I tried the one I have now. Now they are always together. But she let me know right off the bat that she was not interested, usually in a very grumpy way.

Hahaha. But when i got my pair, the female was already huge and red. Is it possible they mated cuz she was desperate?

Back
Top Bottom