Kribs breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are your ideas on this topic?
I just got 3 (2M and 1F)and they all looked the same when I put them in. And that night(3hours later) their colors just popped!! Now the 2 males are fighting and the females belly is a dark purple color. And she's hanging around my one piece of fake driftwood. Are they already starting to breed?? They are all 2" now

What are your ideas on this topic?
I just got 3 (2M and 1F)and they all looked the same when I put them in. And that night(3hours later) their colors just popped!! Now the 2 males are fighting and the females belly is a dark purple color. And she's hanging around my one piece of fake driftwood. Are they already starting to breed?? They are all 2" now
I would remove one of the males. They could end up killing each other. I have a pair(M&F) and at first, the female was extremely aggressive to the male, who is much larger. She chewed his tail to a stump. I removed him to an isolation container that I can hang inside the tank. I left him in there for a few weeks, until his tail grew back. I realised him and prayed they would get on, they are inseparable now. NO aggression at all. I'm hoping they now breed. My female is hiding under the driftwood too. I have sand, so she dug this hole herself, I saw here doing it!!. She 'lets' the male in this hole too. Apparently this is a good sign that they might be pairing off. She even lets him into her cave, no problems. She used to attack him, if he came anywhere near it. I know this is not directly answering your question but I haven't bred them yet but i'm hoping it will happen very soon.
If they pair off or even if they don't, they can be quite aggressive to each other or other tank mates. I would strongly suggest removing one of the males, the one who she doesn't seem interested in. When/if they pair they could kill the other Krib.....

I would remove one of the males. They could end up killing each other. I have a pair(M&F) and at first, the female was extremely aggressive to the male, who is much larger. She chewed his tail to a stump. I removed him to an isolation container that I can hang inside the tank. I left him in there for a few weeks, until his tail grew back. I realised him and prayed they would get on, they are inseparable now. NO aggression at all. I'm hoping they now breed. My female is hiding under the driftwood too. I have sand, so she dug this hole herself, I saw here doing it!!. She 'lets' the male in this hole too. Apparently this is a good sign that they might be pairing off. She even lets him into her cave, no problems. She used to attack him, if he came anywhere near it. I know this is not directly answering your question but I haven't bred them yet but i'm hoping it will happen very soon.
If they pair off or even if they don't, they can be quite aggressive to each other or other tank mates. I would strongly suggest removing one of the males, the one who she doesn't seem interested in. When/if they pair they could kill the other Krib.....

So what your saying is I should just take one male out? And hope it works?

So what your saying is I should just take one male out? And hope it works?
Give them a week or two and see if they are pairing. They will/can attack the other male and killing him or badly damage him. I'm not saying this happens in all cases but i'm speaking from my experience and from what I've read. If they do pair and breed they are excellent parents and will aggressively defend there territory and fry from other tank mates. I would strongly suggest removing the male unless you have a very big tank 100g+. Also you need plenty of hiding spots for them too...

Back
Top Bottom