Kribs not pairing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GorJess

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a pair of kribs. I've had them for 24hours now. The female is curling her body towards the male. The male is staying in his cave when she tries to go in he pushes her away. What's going on? First time with kribs

Attachments

• image-1835018706.jpg
    image-1835018706.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2469278581.jpg
    image-2469278581.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1449507225.jpg
    image-1449507225.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 120
If you've only had them for a day, they probably need more time to get used to the tank before they start showing mating behavior. DId you buy them as a sexed or mated pair? If they are just a sexed pair, they may never pair up. Are you sure the female isn't bloated? Her belly looks pretty big in the picture.

So I have a pair of kribs. I've had them for 24hours now. The female is curling her body towards the male. The male is staying in his cave when she tries to go in he pushes her away. What's going on? First time with kribs
First of all, you need patience!!!. It will take a lot longer than 24hrs for them to pair up. It could take weeks or even more. Is the female showing any red/purple on her belly??. Also are you sure you have actually got a male and female...haha. My Kribs didn't pair up and I gave them nearly 5 months. I had to return her in the end because of bullying and i'm currently waiting for my mate to get more in.... Also I would suggest moving his cave/pot to one corner, that way it gives the other Krib more space to swim around...

They are DEFINATELY male and female. I have put two caves in now, when she goes in his cave he shoos her out... But now he's starting chasing her.. He basically just stays in his cave most of the time but only comes out when she comes in.
She is rather large although smaller than him. What do u mean by bloated?? As in how do I know?? And what does it mean if she is???
He is showing some nice colours too and last night she was shimmying in front of him and they were chasing each other around the cave ...
I just don't know!!!
I finally had platy fry too!! Was so exciting .. She still has quite a dark gravid patch though...

They are DEFINATELY male and female. I have put two caves in now, when she goes in his cave he shoos her out... But now he's starting chasing her.. He basically just stays in his cave most of the time but only comes out when she comes in.
She is rather large although smaller than him. What do u mean by bloated?? As in how do I know?? And what does it mean if she is???
He is showing some nice colours too and last night she was shimmying in front of him and they were chasing each other around the cave ...
I just don't know!!!
I finally had platy fry too!! Was so exciting .. She still has quite a dark gravid patch though...

They need time to settle. It can take up to a week ime. The female looks huge and abnormal in that picture. Bloat is a build up of gas in the stomach/intestines and can be fatal. If her stomach looks like a balloon then somethings wrong. If you think you have a case of bloat your gonna have to treat it, otherwise they will come around eventually.

So how do I know if its bloating or just her belly! Or eggs??
When I got her she was in a tank with about 3 other males and a female.
Is there any chance of her having bred with the others in the tank before I bought her? It was an empty tank, just fish. No plants no gravel no caves,
If she is bloated what do I do?

image.jpg and also this one too. Sorry I'm trying to do it on my phone ...

From what I have read about bloated fish it says they don't eat and their scales stick out and they look sick. None of these are happening to her... So what do I do??

I have had bloated fish before.. Usually they will still eat and their scales haven't stuck out for me.

Bloating can be caused by a few different things. Internal parasites is a possibility, but it could also just simply be eating too much. First I would try feeding thawed/cooked frozen peas, and feeding less. If that doesn't help, you may need to start treating for parasites.

Just for reference, this is a normal looking female kribensis:

4604907837_03f35e3e4f.jpg

Well kribs have now had eggs.. He has fertilised them and I'm sooooo excited!!

Back
Top Bottom