lights or no lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sasikan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my electric blue rams are still not cooperating (no eggs!)
i have 4 foot shop lights on top of most of my aquariums(grow lights) about 8 inches
from the water, this makes a bright lite, but i do have lots of plants.
do you think lights would have anything to do with not breeding?

Hi my electric blue rams are still not cooperating (no eggs!)

i have 4 foot shop lights on top of most of my aquariums(grow lights) about 8 inches

from the water, this makes a bright lite, but i do have lots of plants.

do you think lights would have anything to do with not breeding?

Add plants a bunch they need a nice hide out or cave or dark spot they could go to make they home also good good water one of the hardest fishes to breed uv light will help

Try this start feeding them blood worms they sell them any were you you buy you fish food lower your tank water I know it’s not going to look nice but some reason this make my fish spawn to at less 50% or less if you can leave it like that for a week or two also cut down the light less time,less brighter then after a couple of week fill your tank back up and go back to full light,fill tank back up see if that works don’t forget to do a lot of water changes during this process like am talking about like every other day good luck keep me posted

thinking now I mate get some blue rams again I just have to think what tank I will put them in if I do I will have to start a hole new tank setup I don’t think the wife will be down lol but they are beautiful fish hard to spawn but fun

yes that might shake them up ! that's a little of what i do to make my pearl gourami spawn (lowering the water level )but i do have lots of plants , potted and floating. i have a automated water change system that changes 10 to 15% water every day

My last ditch effort when fish hard time me is to move them to another tank.
I have recommended this to others and it has worked for them in 1 week.
If you have an empty tank I would give it a try.

My last ditch effort when fish hard time me is to move them to another tank.
I have recommended this to others and it has worked for them in 1 week.
If you have an empty tank I would give it a try.

I agree when you have fry your going to have to move the parents anyway so doing this proses in another tank with low light plants like some Anubis and driftwood will be easier

yes you mentioned this before and i have never moved a pair to a different tank. it's worth a try . do i clean out all the algae on all 4 sides and bottom install 2 small flat rocks a sponge filter heat at 82f ? maybe a potted plant some floating plants maybe a couple of flower pots on the side to act like a cave ? do you see anything missing or not right?

IMO you could move the pots ,plants from their tank with them.
Just shake them up a little.
Keep parameters the same since we are trying so much stuff we may never be able to pin it down if we incorporate too many variables.
I would clean the new tank so they are not 100% at ease.

moved one pair to a new tank also brought there 2 empty flower pots and one flat rock floating plants .
i gave them a tank next to another pair of rams with a piece of paper halfway in between the two tanks for some privacy but on the upper part of the tank they can still see each other learned this from coral bandit .
i think this will add competition between the 2 males in each tank

Back
Top Bottom