livebearer gestation periods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracygh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am wondering the gestation periods for various livebearers, specifically guppies and swordtails.
Also, I remember reading that guppies can have up to 5 or 6 batches of fry every 3 to 4 weeks off of one mating...is the same true for swordtails?
I am living in a very fertile household :LOL:
TIA

A mature female can give birth every four weeks. It's possible though for them to be fertilized again right after giving birth. My book says the shortest time between broods is 3wks but it can take as long as 5months if conditions are not optimal. :|

Yep, the sperm can be stored for a long time and yeild multiple batches of fry. But successive batches are likely to get smaller. But if they are being fertilized by a male in the tank, the fresh sperm from the male who most recently fertilized will have a much higher chance of producing fry than the sperm from a male months ago. Under optimal conditions, a fry drop every 4 to 5 weeks seems about right.

I have 3 mollies that are pregnant, unfortunately the only male died a while back. But now it would seem I could be overcome with fry. One mollie is a few days away from giving birth I would guess, I can see little spots in her belly. The other two have a gravid spot and are getting bigger and bigger. I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom