Livebearers changing genders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I keep reading how someones platy, mollie or swordtail changed genders.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some actual researched factual evidence of this happening?

My understanding is that it's always females changing to males, which I would personally put down to late male development - not a sex change.

Can anyone give me factual info?

I recently read an article about females changing to males, but I don't think there was any reproductive research behind it. They were just observations. Is there any place at all that we can find literature regarding aquarium fish? Actually, I'm sure there are papers out there regarding OTHER fish changing sex, maybe not platties specifically. I'm going to do a search on this tonight, since I have access to numerous databases.

I'd love to see what you come up with gabysapha, please share.

Well I didn't find anything regarding platties gender-bending, but I did find articles that found female platties prefer males with sword extensions on their tails, even though platties are swordless!!!
There are a ton of articles about freshwater and saltwater species changing gender, but nothing specifically about platties, and I didn't see any about livebearers in general.

Back
Top Bottom