Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Long guppy labor

I have two guppies that are very pregnant and today (approximately 5 hours ago) I found two fry in my tank. I put the mom in a breeding tank and she has since not given birth to any more fry. I'm worried because I feel like she's getting stressed out being in the breeding tank but I'm worried she might be attacked by the other fish in my tank. When I put her into the breeding tank she had a big bite taken from the tip of her tail fin. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd be grateful for anyone's input, particularly experienced guppy breeders. Thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know for sure the fry have come from her? IMO just watch her closely, also watch the other tank. I've had it many times where I thought fry were coming from a certain guppy when in fact it was from another

Old 06-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm pretty sure because the other female isn't showing any labor signs and has been very active all day. I let her out about an hour ago and she's doing better. The two fry I caught are also doing great: eating well, swimming, and there don't seem to be any birth defects. I'm going to keep my eyes open for more fry to add to the two healthy ones in the breeding tank. Thanks for the advice
Old 06-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its very possible to only have two, my last drop from my platy was only two fry. Just keeping an eye on her is probably the only thing you can do at the moment
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another thing is you could have been her last born fry and she was done, the other fry could not exist or they could be hiding or have been eaten.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

She's still exhibiting preggo signs but I have found anymore fry. I did a 15-20% water change this morning and I'm going to keep looking for fry.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Long Guppy Labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by missexpresso View Post
I have two guppies that are very pregnant and today (approximately 5 hours ago) I found two fry in my tank. I put the mom in a breeding tank and she has since not given birth to any more fry. I'm worried because I feel like she's getting stressed out being in the breeding tank but I'm worried she might be attacked by the other fish in my tank. When I put her into the breeding tank she had a big bite taken from the tip of her tail fin. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd be grateful for anyone's input, particularly experienced guppy breeders. Thanks
Hello miss...

If you have females close to dropping fry, I suggest a large water change and make the replacement water a little warmer than the current tank water. I keep large tanks of Fancy Guppies and change half the water in my tanks every week. I always make the new water a little warmer and add a couple of pinches of standard aquarium salt. You can use Kosher salt or commercial canning salt, but not table salt.

The combination of the warm, pure water and a little salt and by the time the tank fills, I have new fry in the tank. You can also float Water sprite or Anacharis in the tank. These plants make the females feel more comfortable and puts them at ease. If your females are close, this is all they need.

B

Tags
guppy, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com