Looks like it's that time of year again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I woke up today to find two of my female amano shrimps carrying eggs. I also think another one is starting to produce eggs as well.

img_629059_0_38b823262eb2ccd5af3e51d84a929fbb.jpg

Sorry about the pic being blurry, I couldn't keep my hand steady enough while following the shrimp. The second pic is a bit better. (btw the two pics are of the same shrimp, I couldn't get a pic of the other female with eggs)

img_629059_1_991e740744eed69149aed73979770937.jpg

It's a sad day for me because the process of raising amano shrimp is extremely hard and an amateur like me couldn't possibly do it. This is the third time my shrimps have produced eggs and I have to again see them go to waste :(. At least they'll make a nice healthy meal for my tetras and hatchets.

One of these days I'm gonna set up a small tank specifically for raising amano shrimp. I know I’ll fail a whole bunch of times but if I stay determined, I might be able to do it.

It's all about trial and error. You and the shrimp will learn what works and what doesn't. Take pride in the fact that the water quality is suitable for them to want to try!

My shrimp do seem to be much more happier in my 75g planted. I'm glad I moved them out of my 5g. Next year I'll be ready with a small tank, aquarium salt, baby shrimp food, and all the equipment I need to raise the baby amano shrimps :D

I've got a female amano in my 10gal tank that consistently produces eggs. There are two other male shrimp in the tank with her, but I have no idea if the eggs ever get fertilized. She usually carries the eggs around for a while (maybe a week or two....I don't really pay attention to it) but then they just disappear. I'm sure the other fish in the tank eat the eggs, but I've never seen it happen, and I've never seen the shrimp deposit the eggs anywhere. One of these days I might put the shrimp into a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank of their own to see if they breed.

Here's a pic of the egg carrying female:

img_629333_0_2db27da9d1b97eba09cb63d1b5c1abb6.jpg

That is a very nice pic UT! Your shrimp looks very healthy too.

UTcolorchangn said:
I've got a female amano in my 10gal tank that consistently produces eggs. There are two other male shrimp in the tank with her, but I have no idea if the eggs ever get fertilized. She usually carries the eggs around for a while (maybe a week or two....I don't really pay attention to it) but then they just disappear. I'm sure the other fish in the tank eat the eggs, but I've never seen it happen, and I've never seen the shrimp deposit the eggs anywhere. One of these days I might put the shrimp into a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank of their own to see if they breed.

My shrimp only produce eggs once a year usually in between spring/summer. It looks like the eggs your shrimp is carrying is either dead or not fertilized which is why they have turned white. I've had this happen before to one of my shrimps when they were in my 5g. After carrying the dead/unfertilized eggs for a few days she just dropped them and they became a meal for my fish.

Amano shrimps don’t lay their eggs. The female carries them until they hatch and then the larva will head to the surface. Apparently they are attracted to light which is why the head to the surface. The larva will only survive a few days in freshwater. After two or three days in freshwater they need to be put into a tank with brackish water. That’s the hard part about raising amano shrimps. You have to slowly increase the amount of salt in the tank and as the larva mature you have to slowly decrease the amount of salt.

I find it amazing how in the wild the shrimp breed in freshwater and the larva get taken down stream into the ocean where they grow and mature. After they then swim back up stream into freshwater where they live out their adult lives.

Here's a pic of the two females. I walked into the room and saw them both together so I just had to take a pic :)

img_629645_0_4a5f290d6c3aab7ff724ef1eea4ccb62.jpg

Back
Top Bottom