Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Lost 3/4 of my fry

When my kribensis bred the second time, I noticed at least 50-60 wigglers, but now there are only about 13.

I was told to only feed them when they are able to swim by themselves. Currently they are still trying to swim, but always fall down on rocks.

Could it be that the current juvies (2.5 month old kribensis) are eating the babies or the parents are eating the babies?

Or are the babies starving to death?

Old 04-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is not abnormal to lose fry. My guess would be they are being eaten. If your worried about them, take the other Kribensis out of the tank and they should have a better chance for survival.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's normal to lose fry if they are not in a separate tank as they get eaten by the other fish sucked into the filter or just die from stress and other things. If you want to save more move the breeding pair into a separate tank and once they release the fry move the parents out. This is how all my breeder friends do it and 90% of there batches survive.

My cichlid tank I just leave alone and have had over 20 fry grow up over the last 6 months just by themselves surviving. No special treatment.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Initally I took out all the other fish leaving my pair and an bn pleco. All 100 fries survived. But I guess this time, the previous fries were a threat.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar View Post
When my kribensis bred the second time, I noticed at least 50-60 wigglers, but now there are only about 13.

I was told to only feed them when they are able to swim by themselves. Currently they are still trying to swim, but always fall down on rocks.

Could it be that the current juvies (2.5 month old kribensis) are eating the babies or the parents are eating the babies?

Or are the babies starving to death?
It's always best to keep each spawning of fish to themselves if you are trying to get a high survival rate. Community breeding is very stressful on the breeders and fish fry are excellent food for other fish. In the fish world, sibling rivalry is handled by eating the competition. Big fish eat little fish with no concerns for their kinship

Hope this helps...

Tags
fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com