Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Make profit on fish breeding?

Does breeding fish and selling them to nearby pet stores bring any profit? If so I might just have to invest in some more tanks I just had the thought and had to ask.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard that you can make a profit a guy bought a tank from me and said that he made about 2,600 hundred a month an had 20 ya is going... I will have 20 tanks running in a couple mints as well cheers

Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
I have heard that you can make a profit a guy bought a tank from me and said that he made about 2,600 hundred a month an had 20 ya is going... I will have 20 tanks running in a couple mints as well cheers
Ooh! What kind of fish sell the best? It would absolutely wonderful to make a profit of a hobby I already enjoy
Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on how invested in the idea you are. If you want to devote a ton of time into it, and money to start up, then you could turn a profit, not sure how much, depends on stock, rarity, and amount...but for the average hobbyist, breeding and selling usually only helps them support the hobby. It'll give you enough money to buy food, water conditioner, some fish, and maybe a new tank or accessory every now and then.
With my breeding I generally make about $25-50 a week, so $100-200 per month, not much but enough to support the hobby and allow me to have a little extra spending money.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

He bred African cichlids and several types of catfish although to make that money you NEED like 20 tanks... I'm psyched a out getting my 20 tanks set up, and I'm only 14 yay cheers
Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_o View Post
Ooh! What kind of fish sell the best? It would absolutely wonderful to make a profit of a hobby I already enjoy
From my experience, the best way to make your breeding program profitable is to ask the LFS what they are looking for, how many they are looking for, and generally how often they buy those fish. Then you breed those that are most in demand and sell the fastest. Price is not always the issue as you may sell 10- $1.00 fish faster than 1- $10.00 fish. The key to profitability is high turnover. BTW: 1 LFS will probably not get you a lot of money. You need multiple stores buying from you.

Hope this helps
Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
Depends on how invested in the idea you are. If you want to devote a ton of time into it, and money to start up, then you could turn a profit, not sure how much, depends on stock, rarity, and amount...but for the average hobbyist, breeding and selling usually only helps them support the hobby. It'll give you enough money to buy food, water conditioner, some fish, and maybe a new tank or accessory every now and then.
With my breeding I generally make about $25-50 a week, so $100-200 per month, not much but enough to support the hobby and allow me to have a little extra spending money.
I'd be willing to devote time to it but as far as start up money goes I'm not really Mr. Money Bags right now. $100-$200 a month would be awesome for me, especially since I'm still in school. What breeding setup do you have? I have roughly only about $60-$70 so spend right now but I'll get more soon.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
He bred African cichlids and several types of catfish although to make that money you NEED like 20 tanks... I'm psyched a out getting my 20 tanks set up, and I'm only 14 yay cheers
I don't think I'd ever be able to get 20 tanks, much less fit them in my room! It sounds really cool though. Good luck with you tanks! BTW I'm about your age too!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

From my experience, the best way to make your breeding program profitable is to ask the LFS what they are looking for, how many they are looking for, and generally how often they buy those fish. Then you breed those that are most in demand and sell the fastest. Price is not always the issue as you may sell 10- $1.00 fish faster than 1- $10.00 fish. The key to profitability is high turnover. BTW: 1 LFS will probably not get you a lot of money. You need multiple stores buying from you.

Hope this helps
Thanks for that advice! I have a local PetSmart, PetCo, and a local shop called World of Pets. I might check around sometime.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breeding animals any animals be they fish or cats or dogs. Appear to make a really lot of money. You need to produce in high volumes have people and stores ready to buy from you when your fish are ready. Then you have to be ready for a big investment. For healthy breeding stock. Tanks, filters, chemicals, medications that you just need to have on hand. Out grow tanks, hospital and qt tanks. I am sure the list goes on and on. I bred cats and the costs don't end with just aquiring the breeding stock.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com