Make profit on fish breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does breeding fish and selling them to nearby pet stores bring any profit? If so I might just have to invest in some more tanks ;) I just had the thought and had to ask.

Thanks!

I have heard that you can make a profit a guy bought a tank from me and said that he made about 2,600 hundred a month an had 20 ya is going... I will have 20 tanks running in a couple mints as well :) cheers

I have heard that you can make a profit a guy bought a tank from me and said that he made about 2,600 hundred a month an had 20 ya is going... I will have 20 tanks running in a couple mints as well :) cheers

Ooh! What kind of fish sell the best? It would absolutely wonderful to make a profit of a hobby I already enjoy :D

Depends on how invested in the idea you are. If you want to devote a ton of time into it, and money to start up, then you could turn a profit, not sure how much, depends on stock, rarity, and amount...but for the average hobbyist, breeding and selling usually only helps them support the hobby. It'll give you enough money to buy food, water conditioner, some fish, and maybe a new tank or accessory every now and then.
With my breeding I generally make about $25-50 a week, so $100-200 per month, not much but enough to support the hobby and allow me to have a little extra spending money.

He bred African cichlids and several types of catfish although to make that money you NEED like 20 tanks... I'm psyched a out getting my 20 tanks set up, and I'm only 14 :) :) yay cheers

Ooh! What kind of fish sell the best? It would absolutely wonderful to make a profit of a hobby I already enjoy :D

From my experience, the best way to make your breeding program profitable is to ask the LFS what they are looking for, how many they are looking for, and generally how often they buy those fish. Then you breed those that are most in demand and sell the fastest. Price is not always the issue as you may sell 10- $1.00 fish faster than 1- $10.00 fish. The key to profitability is high turnover. BTW: 1 LFS will probably not get you a lot of money. You need multiple stores buying from you.

Hope this helps (y)

Depends on how invested in the idea you are. If you want to devote a ton of time into it, and money to start up, then you could turn a profit, not sure how much, depends on stock, rarity, and amount...but for the average hobbyist, breeding and selling usually only helps them support the hobby. It'll give you enough money to buy food, water conditioner, some fish, and maybe a new tank or accessory every now and then.
With my breeding I generally make about $25-50 a week, so $100-200 per month, not much but enough to support the hobby and allow me to have a little extra spending money.

I'd be willing to devote time to it but as far as start up money goes I'm not really Mr. Money Bags right now. $100-$200 a month would be awesome for me, especially since I'm still in school. What breeding setup do you have? I have roughly only about $60-$70 so spend right now but I'll get more soon.

He bred African cichlids and several types of catfish although to make that money you NEED like 20 tanks... I'm psyched a out getting my 20 tanks set up, and I'm only 14 :) :) yay cheers

I don't think I'd ever be able to get 20 tanks, much less fit them in my room! It sounds really cool though. Good luck with you tanks! BTW I'm about your age too! :D

From my experience, the best way to make your breeding program profitable is to ask the LFS what they are looking for, how many they are looking for, and generally how often they buy those fish. Then you breed those that are most in demand and sell the fastest. Price is not always the issue as you may sell 10- $1.00 fish faster than 1- $10.00 fish. The key to profitability is high turnover. BTW: 1 LFS will probably not get you a lot of money. You need multiple stores buying from you.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for that advice! I have a local PetSmart, PetCo, and a local shop called World of Pets. I might check around sometime.

Breeding animals any animals be they fish or cats or dogs. Appear to make a really lot of money. You need to produce in high volumes have people and stores ready to buy from you when your fish are ready. Then you have to be ready for a big investment. For healthy breeding stock. Tanks, filters, chemicals, medications that you just need to have on hand. Out grow tanks, hospital and qt tanks. I am sure the list goes on and on. I bred cats and the costs don't end with just aquiring the breeding stock.

Thanks for that advice! I have a local PetSmart, PetCo, and a local shop called World of Pets. I might check around sometime.

Don't be too surprised if the chain stores can't buy from you. They usually have central wholesalers to supply them so they can keep quality control. Stay more to Mom & Pop shops (y)

Breeding animals any animals be they fish or cats or dogs. Appear to make a really lot of money. You need to produce in high volumes have people and stores ready to buy from you when your fish are ready. Then you have to be ready for a big investment. For healthy breeding stock. Tanks, filters, chemicals, medications that you just need to have on hand. Out grow tanks, hospital and qt tanks. I am sure the list goes on and on. I bred cats and the costs don't end with just aquiring the breeding stock.

+1 100%. I am a former commercial fish breeder/ wholesaler so I've been there, done that. Most home breeding doesn't get past the " paying for my hobby" stage. In fact, I still breed fish just for that. "Nobody rides for free in my house. :brows: :D Breeding fish for lots of money takes lots of time, space and funds. If you are missing any of those, you are most likely wasting your efforts.
A quick suggestion: Check out how many stores would buy from you once you get going. This can help determine your customer base and amount of fish you need to breed. Remember, most fish take at least 2 to 3 months to get from fry to salable size. (y)

In my experience, even many of the mom and pop stores won't purchase from you. What most are willing to do is give you store credit.

Don't be too surprised if the chain stores can't buy from you. They usually have central wholesalers to supply them so they can keep quality control. Stay more to Mom & Pop shops (y)

World of Pets is a local shop. I might check there sometime.

+1 100%. I am a former commercial fish breeder/ wholesaler so I've been there, done that. Most home breeding doesn't get past the " paying for my hobby" stage. In fact, I still breed fish just for that. "Nobody rides for free in my house. :brows: :D Breeding fish for lots of money takes lots of time, space and funds. If you are missing any of those, you are most likely wasting your efforts.
A quick suggestion: Check out how many stores would buy from you once you get going. This can help determine your customer base and amount of fish you need to breed. Remember, most fish take at least 2 to 3 months to get from fry to salable size. (y)

It's not definite that I am indeed going to start breeding. I don't really need to make a lot of money. It would just be nice to get something out of a hobby I enjoy. Thanks for the info!

If you can find a store willing to either give you store credit or just enough to break even you'll be doing great. I am working with livebearers because they don't need a great investment and well it's fun and easy. So just remember if you do it, make sure it's fun if it isn't fun you will find that you will do yourself and especially the animals you are working with a great disservice.

If you can find a store willing to either give you store credit or just enough to break even you'll be doing great. I am working with livebearers because they don't need a great investment and well it's fun and easy. So just remember if you do it, make sure it's fun if it isn't fun you will find that you will do yourself and especially the animals you are working with a great disservice.

I wouldn't do it unless it wasn't fun. I don't really NEED the money, it'd just be nice to get something out of it. I'll check around and see if any stores will buy.

I have 6 tanks, and a never ending supply of bristlenose fry. I keep them till they are 6-8cm. At 8cm my last batch of calicos brought $4 each. Given how many months I fed them top quality nls food, frozen, and freeze-dried worms, and fresh fruit and vegies, you could hardly call it a money-making venture. Add to that the $45 per WEEK in electricity costs just to run the aquariums, and the twice weekly water changes, I'd say if I wasn't in it for the love of it, I'd be out of it by now.

I have 6 tanks, and a never ending supply of bristlenose fry. I keep them till they are 6-8cm. At 8cm my last batch of calicos brought $4 each. Given how many months I fed them top quality nls food, frozen, and freeze-dried worms, and fresh fruit and vegies, you could hardly call it a money-making venture. Add to that the $45 per WEEK in electricity costs just to run the aquariums, and the twice weekly water changes, I'd say if I wasn't in it for the love of it, I'd be out of it by now.

Well I'm still in school so I don't have to worry about the electricity costs. Thanks for that info!

Well I guess I've learned that you won't really make a profit to sustain yourself or anything. Just maybe break even or get some extra spending money (which would be great for me!)

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Back
Top Bottom