Making Fry Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been stymied by the suggestions to crush up flakes. There are always flakes mixed in that are too big for the fish and they get wasted and foul the tank. I finally tried running my crushed flakes through a dry fish net. The flakes that are<1mm go through and the bigger ones get caught in the net. Then I can crush those through the net too and, voila, food the fry can fit into their hungry little mouths!

Very ingenious. A lot of people strain the cooked egg yolk through mesh or fabric to ensure it's small enough for the fry.

An apple snail would have cleaned up the large flakes, btw. :)

I saw your other posts on apple snails too. They're sounding better and better.

Feedin dry food to fry is hit and miss, at best. The best foods, if the fry are big enough, are newly hatched baby brine shrimp, and secondly, microworms, which aren't quite as good, but easier to culture.

I think if it was spring, I would try mosquito larvae. They are probably too big for newborns, but I have a Giant Diano about a month old that has reached 1/2 inch long and they are probably perfect for him.

i had great results with daphnia (frozen) and cyclop-eeze. but your way sounds fabulous.

Back
Top Bottom