male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't tell from these pics. You need profile pics for me. ;) It looks like the breeding tube is showing ( in one of the pics) so here's the rule: If it looks thick like the eraser end of a pencil, it's a female ( and if eggs come out, it's definitely a female . lol) If the tube looks like the writing end of the pencil ( after it has been sharpened ;) ) then it's a male.
I can usually tell and unsexed fish by the position of the Anal fin ( My track record is like 90%+ but that was with older fish ( meaning fish from the 1970s and 1980s). Can't tell what these new fish might be looking like.
My biggest question is why does your fish have no Dorsal fin? If it's genetic, please don't breed it. There are enough crappy Angelfish being produced. No good comes from breeding lousy looking Angels. Breed good quality fish and help us get quality back into the Angelfish world please. Thanks.
Hope this helps.

There is no fin because he? is in a tank with 4 other angels!! That is part if the reason I was figuring male. It grows back and then someone picks it off again. No worries I would never breed anything that had bad genetics!!!!

There is no fin because he? is in a tank with 4 other angels!! That is part if the reason I was figuring male. It grows back and then someone picks it off again. No worries I would never breed anything that had bad genetics!!!!

WOW!!! That almost qualifies as Fish Abuse from your other fish ;) Unfortunately, that also makes me wonder if it is worth breeding as it obviously is not a vigorous fish. I've had Angels that beat the snot out of each other that looked better than that one, I'm sorry to say. :( In nature, mainly only the best, strongest fish breed. I hate to say this but this fish doesn't sound like it qualifies for either :nono: ( IMO ) It's up to us aquarists to try to keep that matchup going. If it were me, I'd separate that fish from the bunch and keep it separated. Let it be the dominant fish in it's own tank, away from the other Angels. It doesn't need to be with other Angels as it's obviously not strong enough to defend itself. I realize it might put a crimp into your plans for the fish but think of the poor fish. :blink: I'm just sayin.....:whistle:

I have to agree you should separate that angel immediately or sell it back to the LFS. That looks really bad and although breeding angels is an exciting achievement, with an angel getting that badly picked on... It will die of stress before anything else.
I would suggest a 10 gallon and treat it with Melafix or a trusted medication and then find a bigger tank than that for him to be your showcase/main fish and let him be dominant.

If another tank is no option, I would recommend getting rid of him. I'm not sure even a LFS will buy a hurt fish like that :/

Back
Top Bottom