Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Male guppy only chasing 1 female

I've got 1 male guppy and 5 female guppies. I heard that with more females the harrassment would be more evenly distributed, but this doesn't really appear to be the case. Once in a while he'll chase the other girls for a few seconds, but whenever he starts after his favorite girl, he'll chase her for at least a minute or 2 on end, then stop a few seconds only to start again.

Do male guppies play favorites with their females?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think so but i guess its possible. How much cover is in the tank? Because adding more cover might help.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
I dont think so but i guess its possible. How much cover is in the tank? Because adding more cover might help.
The plants aren't too grown in yet, but I threw in some of my softer plastic plants to float on the top corner. Will have to watch and see how it works out.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya, if that dosent work then i would either consider moving him out.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know the males can sense unhealthy females. I started with two pairs of blue metallics. The males chased both females indiscriminately at first, then they only chased one of the two. The unchased one died about ten days later. She looked fine, but the fish could tell.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

yep, Jim nailed it, guppies select only the best to breed with. I literally got rid of all my guppies yesterday, kept two, one male one female juve to see what happens but shhhh the wife dont know,ok shhhh.

In a sense they are smarter then humans when it comes to breeding, they pick the best one to chase and vice versa, dont think its only the males, the females play a BIG role in who knocks em up.

It sounds bad but guppies are a dime a dozen. id let nature take its course. I did and ended up with over 400 guppies being rehomed in the past 48 hours. I started with 5 females and one male much like you a year ago.

Tags
chasing, female, guppy, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com