Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Male livebearers with a "type"?

Sorry if that sounds like an odd way of putting it but I've noticed that in both my mollies and platys that the male has a "type" preference when it comes to the females.
My Male dalmatian molly (previously thought to be female) only goes after my creamsicle molly and leave the female dalmatian alone. She has given birth twice and is pregnant again.
The same goes for the platy. I have a male black platy that goes after a goldust female but leaves the rainbow female alone. He's harassing her so much that I'm considering getting another female or just getting rid of him.
Anyone else notice anything like this? All the fish are healthy so it's not that.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I致e noticed that as well by colour where the male does it. No idea why.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Sorry if that sounds like an odd way of putting it but I've noticed that in both my mollies and platys that the male has a "type" preference when it comes to the females.
My Male dalmatian molly (previously thought to be female) only goes after my creamsicle molly and leave the female dalmatian alone. She has given birth twice and is pregnant again.
The same goes for the platy. I have a male black platy that goes after a goldust female but leaves the rainbow female alone. He's harassing her so much that I'm considering getting another female or just getting rid of him.
Anyone else notice anything like this? All the fish are healthy so it's not that.
Hello Sara...

It's always best to have several females for every male. This way, one female isn't exhausted from all the attention. The males are acting normally. Adding females is preferable, but you can also introduce some floating plants to help make all the fish more comfortable. Water sprite, Dwarf water lettuce, Anacharis and Hornwort will all work well to provide hiding places for the female and the fry. Just drop some individual plants into the tank.

B
Old 08-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

More females the better I found - agree with above.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Sara...

It's always best to have several females for every male. This way, one female isn't exhausted from all the attention. The males are acting normally. Adding females is preferable, but you can also introduce some floating plants to help make all the fish more comfortable. Water sprite, Dwarf water lettuce, Anacharis and Hornwort will all work well to provide hiding places for the female and the fry. Just drop some individual plants into the tank.

B
My tank is 55 gallons and is moderately planted. I have giant duckweed at the top, plenty of anubias, Amazon swords, water wisteria and horn wart as well as rocks and driftwood. My mollies are fine since the females are aggressive enough to chase the male away. The platy has plenty of spots to hide but he just follows her everywhere. I have 2 females to a male and there are molly fry in the tank as well but he's only chasing the one female. I suppose I could add another female if absolutely necessary.

Tags
live, livebearer, livebearers, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com