Male Molly Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jairic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 3 month old black molly fry has been forming his gonopodium for about a week now. He's only about an inch and a half now and has become a little sex-crazed monster. He keeps trying to mate with his pregnant mother. I know that mollies and all live-bearers will readily mate with siblings and relatives but does anyone know if I should separate him to prevent inbreeding or leave him be. It would happen in nature. Just need someone else's input.
:thanks:

P.S.- I also have a runt in my one month old litter that is about a centimeter in length do you think he would get eaten by my Three and a half inch Silver Sailfin Molly male?

The pregnant molly and four fry are in a 10 gallon heated tank
In my 15 gallon i have two male platys, 1 male molly and four chinese algae eaters the pregnant mother lives in the 15 gallon too but is in the ten gallon for birth.

I don't know the answer to the first question, but in regards to the second one: if the baby fish is able to fit into any others mouth, it will get eaten.. I don't let mine out until they are bigger than all the other mouths :) hope that helps

I wouldn't worry too much about the babies, let them do what they gotta do hahah. On a sidenote, a chinese algae eater can get 8 inches or more, in the future they have no right to be in a 15 gallon. Good luck with the fry, I would make sure there is dense plantage and hiding spots in the fry tank.

Ok thanks for the info. about the chinese algae eaters I didn't know at the time because my lfs gave them to me for free when i got my mollies (which were sick) 2 months ago. I've researched them and tried to take them back but no one would take them, but they havn't done anything wrong in my tank

My 3 month old black molly fry has been forming his gonopodium for about a week now. He's only about an inch and a half now and has become a little sex-crazed monster. He keeps trying to mate with his pregnant mother. I know that mollies and all live-bearers will readily mate with siblings and relatives but does anyone know if I should separate him to prevent inbreeding or leave him be. It would happen in nature. Just need someone else's input.
:thanks:

P.S.- I also have a runt in my one month old litter that is about a centimeter in length do you think he would get eaten by my Three and a half inch Silver Sailfin Molly male?
Hi, there's three things you can do about inbreeding;
1. Separate them
2. Sell or trade them
3. Just keep only male or only females but remember that females can store sperm for up to 6 months, and give birth every month.
My 3 month old platy had fry with her brother :facepalm::facepalm: I didn't think it was possible at that age, although i know now!!..Although i'm sure in nature inbreeding does happen, it is alot less likely than in your aquarium..
Also i doubt your 'runt' would get eaten as he wouldn't fit in the Sailfins mouth!!!..
Hope this helps...Ian

Back
Top Bottom