Male Molly only interested in 1 of 2 females?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SolvingNormal

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a male lyretail (marbled silver and black with some faint orange spots and orange rimming on his fins - also a really large slicked bank dorsal fin that reminds me of Elvis...) Molly. He's in a community tank and was one of the original inhabitants. Later, two female lyretail Mollies were introduced at the same time.

Oreo (male) shows significant interest in Zest (orange on top, white on bottom - name for this?) and harasses her to breed constantly. Zest finally just "assumes the position" when he comes near. She seems pregnant again (delivered fry the day after I got her).

Lemon (female, silver) might as well not exist for Oreo. She was also pregnant when purchased but is not now.

I don't know much more about what to do. I've tried putting Oreo and Lemon in another established tank for some private time but no go. Same for temporarily removing Zest.

Ideas? Knowledge from Molly experts?

Cindi

i have heard that sometimes they only like the ones that look like them - or maybe in your case just likes the looks of one and not the other? who knows. wish I could be of more help

HeatherW said:
i have heard that sometimes they only like the ones that look like them - or maybe in your case just likes the looks of one and not the other? who knows. wish I could be of more help

Neither looks like him, that's for sure! I would just love some Oreo x Lemon babies but she may as well be an egg-layer for all the attention she gets. I even find myself double checking she's a girl. (She is.)

Maybe take the one female out temporarily(a breeder tank?) and see if he goes after the other one?

Starka said:
Maybe take the one female out temporarily(a breeder tank?) and see if he goes after the other one?

I've tried that but perhaps not for long enough. How long do you suggest?

Maybe he's just not interested...... if it were me, I'd leave it alone and give it time instead of trying to force the issue.

Back
Top Bottom