male or female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
how can i tell sex of my guppies i bought them from a pet store all i know is there babies maybe a month old or what i dont know

I just learned a couple of days ago how to tell, look at the fin by the anus, if the fin looks straight than its a male, if the fin is more fanned out than its a female.

Mumma.of.two said:
Also male guppies are colorful and females are bigger and usually aren't colorful except for the tail.

My male is larger than the females, just more slender, your right on the color thing though my females are a pale pink color and my male has a larger tail fin than the females but I think females can have a fin like that too

for pics see the thread in my signature, it has tons of info on livebearers ( guppys platys mollies endlers swords)

If you google it you will see they are very different. However it can be hard to sex them when they are young.

I drew a picture :)

View attachment 84214

Notice the shape of the anal fins, and the dorsal fins. The dorsal fin is closer to the mouth on a male. They also have two pointy anal fins, where females have one large rounded one. Hope I helped :)

alia258 said:
I drew a picture :)

Notice the shape of the anal fins, and the dorsal fins. The dorsal fin is closer to the mouth on a male. They also have two pointy anal fins, where females have one large rounded one. Hope I helped :)

Haha! Love the artwork!

It's not my greatest piece, but I have used it several times actually :)

Lol it's cute! I like the coloring on the male!

Oh you can also tell by coloring, males have more outstanding colors than females.

Males are also more streamlined and they have a skinnier tail :)

Back
Top Bottom