Male platty looks preganate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't explain it other than that, his belly is about triple of what it was Sunday. I noticed it last night. Any ideas? TIA

Large belly? Did you notice if he was "pooing"? Try not to feed your fishes for 24hrs. Maybe he's constipated. Other possibilities include internal contamination by worms. Are the scales ok, or do they look like he's having dropsy?

Can't tell yet, there is no gravel in the 1 gal so if he does I'll know. Don't know what dropsy looks like and can't tell about the scales, he is moving pretty fast.

He is the smaller of the 2, (what the lfs said anyway :roll: ). The scales don't seem to be sticking out, Thanks for the site. I'll check it out.

Nope, don't look like any of those pictures. Imagine looking at the fish head on and seeing what looks like 2 egg sacs, 1 on each side. He won't eat the pea I gave him, and as far as I can see he hasn't pooped or anything so I guess he will have to stay in the little 1 gal for a few days. Thanks.

as for the sex identification, this is not the way to differentiate a male of a female platy. Look at the anal fin (the fin next to where he/she poops): is it a "full" fin (say, triangular shape) or is it like a small rod/tube? The latter is a gonopodium and is what identifies a sexually active male.

A very good example is found at http://fish.orbust.net/livebearers.html
the left platy is a male, the right platy is a female

I looked at that link all the time when I first got platies. I like it.

Is it possible that he's overeaten? I once overfed my platies, and their tummies doubled in size! :oops: I know, I know... bad fishkeeper. I learned my lesson, and their bellies went back to normal the next day.

Back
Top Bottom