Male Platy Selectively Chasing Female!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lord_matthias

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I'm just starting out my 29 gallon livebearer aquarium. Its currently cycling with the assistance of Stress Zyme (hopefully), two plants, and gravel from an established aquarium. I'm monitoring the ammonia and nitrites and administering water changes as well, but anyway, on to the topic of this post.
I currently have six livebearers in my aquarium- two blue mickey-mouse platies (male and female), two pretty half orange platies (both female), and two different variety swordtails (male and female). All of the store-bought females appear to be pregnant in varying degrees. So, two males and four females- a more than acceptable ratio from what I have read, since I believe swordtails and platies are similar enough to intermix. However, instead of schooling together as I had hoped (they do mingle together somewhat) they seem to break off into separate groups. The two blues hang together, the two oranges hang together, and the two diferent swordtails sort of go off alone. Is this normal?
Secondly, it seems that my one blue male is chasing my blue female exclusively , which I'm worried may be stressing her out. Why doesn't this persistent little guy check out some different females and give the other blue a break?
:? [/i]

Invest in a breeder box :p

Does he chase her all over the tank, or just chase her away. Also, does he harrass her? If he's harrassing her, like swimming around her, blocking her path, etc., I wouldn't worry about it as he's probably just attracted to her.

If he chases her a short distance, I also wouldn't worry about it, unless he's chasing her all over the tank, then you might want to seperate her.

Back
Top Bottom