Male platy... With gravid spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie1025

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got some platies and guppies for breeding today, and I noticed that one of my females has a gonopodium. Wut?
He/She looks like this except he is a blue mickey mouse, and his gravid spot is darker and he is fatter.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD?

ForumRunner_20130112_194633.jpg

There is nothing wrong with this world (in terms of fish) if your fish is close to a lighter color what your seeing is more than likely not a gravid spot but the fishes innards. Or another thought is that livebearers have the ability to change sex if called for. Maybe your female and decided to be a male for a day who knows?
(I'm kind of leaning towards the change of sex)
Post a picture if you can of the fish and maybe we can try to help diagnose your problem.

Livebearers

Hello Shark...

Sex reversal can happen with Livebearers. Sometimes conditions are right for these fish to develope characteristics of the opposite sex. I've kept Fancy Guppies for about 10 years and sometimes had a male that's extremely large and have little or no color. it has something to do with the fry having the potential to become either sex. It depends on which type of "plumbing" grows quicker. It's been my experience that they live a long time, but are sterile. Just a little "hiccup" in nature.

B

Hello Shark...

Sex reversal can happen with Livebearers. Sometimes conditions are right for these fish to develope characteristics of the opposite sex. I've kept Fancy Guppies for about 10 years and sometimes had a male that's extremely large and have little or no color. it has something to do with the fry having the potential to become either sex. It depends on which type of "plumbing" grows quicker. It's been my experience that they live a long time, but are sterile. Just a little "hiccup" in nature.

B

Thanks! But he will still give birth, right?

Livebearers

Thanks! But he will still give birth, right?

Hello again...

If the fish shows the characteristics of both sexes, then the chances of it giving birth is slim at best. The research I've done tells me the vast majority of these fish are sterile. Sorry, most likely, no fry.

B

Back
Top Bottom