Mating? Or males?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K so I'm pretty sure I bought a male and a female opaline gourami. Not sure tho cuz they are chasing eachother in circles occasionally and are usually hanging out together but it seems kinda rough. Never had big gouramis before so I'm unsure if this is aggression or mating behavior. The pets tore says they only get gouramis that are male but I saw what I thought to be a female from the dorsal fin to the rounded belly. They say they get females accidentally sometimes so I bought it. I am no expert tho on sexing them. Tell me what u think and if this behavoir is normal please. I think the first pic is female and second is male. Am I wrong?

also if anyone knows anything about breeding them that would be great too. thanks

I know nothing of these fish sorry man but I looked at the pics anyway. Are the spots on the second fishes tail normal? Coz if not it looks like ich

Thanks for looking at least. Lol. Apparently not too many people know much about gouramis. But yeah the spots are normal for that fish but thanks for looking and the concern.

I just checked up online and I think it's very possible that the left pic is a female and the left pic is a male ^^

alia258 said:
I just checked up online and I think it's very possible that the left pic is a female and the left pic is a male ^^

Thanks for the help. That's what I was thinking too. I just didn't know if a more experienced person would know better.

jkdubs2 said:
Thanks for the help. That's what I was thinking too. I just didn't know if a more experienced person would know better.

I just noticed that I wrote left twice! The second one was supposed to say right! :p

Some clearer photos would probably help, if you are able to get some.

I advise that you take three pics of each fish and put it like fish #1 and fish #2, so that you'll have at least one good pic of the fish in the group ^^

I'll try to work on the better pics. It'll have to wait for my gf prolly cuz the only camera I own is my phone lol. I'll get them up tomo prolly.

I think you maybe right with the sexes. I have some (different speices) but yes the dorsal fin on the males is longer than the females. Also the males tend to have an orange under belly sometimes.

Basefrog said:
I think you maybe right with the sexes. I have some (different speices) but yes the dorsal fin on the males is longer than the females. Also the males tend to have an orange under belly sometimes.

Thanks. I was hoping for a pair.

The stores usually only get males. Rarely they will get a female. The issue is, at the stores the males will " trim " other males fins. So watch and see if the fins stay short and rounded or if they grow.

I would add live or fake plants so they don't have too see each other all the time. Floating plants also.

They are a bubble nester. So if there is too much surface movement his nest will fall apart.

My lfs doesn't stock any, at least that I've seen :/

Back
Top Bottom