Maximum Number of Swordtail Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFish221

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have 11 swordtail fry in my 5 gallon growout tank, and I know there will be more to come before I get a chance to rehome some of them.

What is the maximum amount of swordtail fry you will put in a 5 gallon?

You could have 50 to a hundred easy. But the would need to be the same age ,maybe up to one moth apart and by 2 months old they would need a bigger tank.
I grow out my swordtails in a 20g so I don't have to move them so often.

You could have 50 to a hundred easy. But the would need to be the same age ,maybe up to one moth apart and by 2 months old they would need a bigger tank.
I grow out my swordtails in a 20g so I don't have to move them so often.

50 to a hundred...
Wouldn't they get stunted?

50 to a hundred...
Wouldn't they get stunted?

Like Tuna said the trick is keeping water clean.
If you have room for other tanks go larger so you can promote fish as they grow [factory line style].You will find if the fish breed frequently and you do well raising them you will have more then you can handle in a couple months.
I trade many of my fish to my LFS for credit but not all can have a good working relationship with stores..I get $1 each in store credit and have dropped hundreds in a monthly trip .:whistle:

I currently have 11 swordtail fry in my 5 gallon growout tank, and I know there will be more to come before I get a chance to rehome some of them.

What is the maximum amount of swordtail fry you will put in a 5 gallon?

Hello Fish...

It's very doubtful you'll get more than 50. Livebearing females will hold dropping fry if they feel conditions aren't good for fry survival. I'd return all the fish to the main tank and simply start feeding all the fish a little more and more often. i've found with livebearers, if the adults are well fed, they aren't likely to bother the fry. The added food will help the fry grow faster too.

B

Hello Fish...

It's very doubtful you'll get more than 50. Livebearing females will hold dropping fry if they feel conditions aren't good for fry survival. I'd return all the fish to the main tank and simply start feeding all the fish a little more and more often. i've found with livebearers, if the adults are well fed, they aren't likely to bother the fry. The added food will help the fry grow faster too.

B

Its not really an option for me to put them in the main tank. Not because there are fish that might eat them, but because the filters will most likely suck them in when the fry feel a little more comfortable in the tank and decide to get too close to them (theres two filters doing 550 gph).

I use sponges and screens over the intakes of my Aquaclear HOBs on my 15g and up tanks with fry in them...Even my guppies do very well like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-F...4F6/112476812430?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

https://pulsar.ebay.com/plsr/clk/0/...XgHgjLPjjjPKM3XKaLJ7WzgxRcWRZ6wfp8aKTpIJpM="}

The filters I have on my main tank are two Seachem Tidal 110s, so sponges will not really work since they will not be able to cover the surface skimmer on the filter.

Back
Top Bottom