Maybe better luck here .. Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two batches of fry. One is maturing in my 5 gallon QT tank. They are about 10 weeks old and are still fairly small. There are 10 in this batch.

My second,batch of 13 are newborn around a week old. They are in a makeshift 1 gallon with an airstone, no,filter, and are fed 3 times daily. I do my best to siphon the debris and replace with primed water.

I am now needing to raise the temp in my 20 gallon out of concern for ich. To do so, I need to use the airstone device to keep,enough oxygen in the water.

Can I safely, temporarily, put all 24 fry in the 5 gallon so I can use the bubbler in the 20 gallon?

I am cycling a 14 gallon and will move many of the fry there once it is safe and allow the newborns to stay in the 5 gallon to grow a bit.

I want to,re home many of the fry, but it has proven difficult.

Also, if you are in Southern California and want free Mickey Mouse platy fry to raise and not,use as food, hit me up!

I would say that you are probably fine, I dont have any personal experience. but i have been doing a lot of research on basically every type of fry recently and i would say that it is safe for a while depending on how small the 1 week old fry are, will they fit in the older frys mouth?

I would say that you are probably fine, I dont have any personal experience. but i have been doing a lot of research on basically every type of fry recently and i would say that it is safe for a while depending on how small the 1 week old fry are, will they fit in the older frys mouth?

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I took the risk and transferred them last night. The 1 gallon was too hard to clean. One died during the transfer, but wasn't eaten. Maybe I accidently hurt him with the net.

I didn't realize that the mouths on the older fry are as big as they are - they have chased a few while I tapped on the glass to get them to stop. The little guys are fast and I haven't witnessed any cannibalism. They hide in small spaces so it is hard to count. I've managed to track at least 7 of the now 12 - the others could very well be hiding. I will feel so sad if I put them in harms way.

Meanwhile my 14'gallon slowly cycling. The N2 is very high, but ammonia is at 0. I think that means it is cycling.

I've done a bunch of research on fry too, but it becomes overwhelming and then I feel more confused than when I began.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom