mbuna fry help/care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my first time with baby cichlids they are fuellebornis. I have been holding the female that's holding in my shrimp tank. Today I noticed a single fry swimming around the tank but she hasn't released the rest yet. As far as I know this is her first time. Should I strip the rest or just hope she spits them. I would defiantly like to keep as many as possible. Also if I fed them crushed cichlid flakes untill the NLS fry blend I ordered comes in then NLS small fish blend will that be ok. And how often should they be fed. I do.t know much about caring for fry so any information will be greatly appreciated. She's also lookin pretty skinny.Thank you.

I'm also preparing for my first fry of cichlids. I have African sunshine peacocks and have been doing tons of research on what heck I should be doing lol
I'm not sure if my research includes your species if cichlids or not but I have read in multiple reports that the female will occasionally release the fry from her mouth for short periods of time as they grow and then she scoops them back in her mouth quickly to protect them - so if u only saw one little one this may be why and they might not be ready to be released for good. I have chosen not to strip my female since I don't feel I'm experienced enough to go against nature. I know that it's natural for the female to lose weight during this period because she doesn't really eat while she's mouthbrooding but it is recommended to remove her after the release of the fry and place her in a recovery tank until she gains her strength back before going back to the busy home tank.
This is only what I've researched and haven't personally experienced this entire cycle yet so maybe other people will hopefully chime in to help you :) Good luck to you and anyone can correct me too if my info is wrong - I will definitely not be offended

We have 11fry !!! Wooo first time hope I don't loose any. I have noticed them all swimming next to her outside the breeder net I put her in to recuperate. It's funny. Any advice on keeping them alive would be appreciated. I still have one mabey two still holding.

Congrats! I'm still waiting for mine...

Are you keeping them in the main tank or moving them to a fry tank until they grow a little more?

Well I still have 10 fry there almost an inch long already and eating very well. They devoured all there food plus the food I put in for the shrimp. There bellies are so fat.

I will tomorrow I did a rescape on there tank just waiting for it to clear back up. It was getting pretty gross looking (its a dirted tank and I uprooted 2 aponogenton plants and 2 small swords over the past month so there was carp everywhereplus all the ramshorns in there make a mess)

Update...I tore this tank apart and just did bare bottom with some moss on the bottom and some guppy grass floating I now have all my fry and babies in it. 2 sponge filters a heater and a led light. They started off eating NLS fry formula and have graduated to NLS grow which even the smallest fry I currently have eat. My best count is 30-35 fuellobornis and about 45-50 kennyi fry. Better start getting shipping supplies unpacked and order some breather bags.

Back
Top Bottom