Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Medium dificulty fish to breed

Hi all i was wondering what are some fish that can breed in a 20-30g tank that i could actually make some cash out of to pay for my future +240g tank. I have 4 20g's or 3 20g's and a 30g I am willing to devote to breeding and I can probably get more if needed. I started a thread about breeding keyhole cichlids but so far I think I'd rather breed something else cause the LFS's around
here will only give me like a dollar unless I grow them out a lot. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester
Hi all i was wondering what are some fish that can breed in a 20-30g tank that i could actually make some cash out of to pay for my future +240g tank. I have 4 20g's or 3 20g's and a 30g I am willing to devote to breeding and I can probably get more if needed. I started a thread about breeding keyhole cichlids but so far I think I'd rather breed something else cause the LFS's around
here will only give me like a dollar unless I grow them out a lot. Thanks for the advice.
Mollies are good and about $3.00 each. Mollies can have up to 200 fry at once. If u wanted to stop them from breeding good luck trying.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

guppies sell for a bit if you breed more exotic kinds like lyre tail and the snakeskin or cobweb guppy

another good fish is the platy sell for a good two to three dollars depending on age and kind but will eat anything including young so be careful.

then we have mollies which are just like platties but usually are less colorful.

the next kind are swordtails again just like platties but will be more expensive sometimes and are a little harder to breed.

and last easy kind are killifish but lay hundreds of eggs I have learned if you sell them as eggs or newborns they are sold for more because they are a annual fish and eat everything but sell for three to four dollars.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam61097 View Post
guppies sell for a bit if you breed more exotic kinds like lyre tail and the snakeskin or cobweb guppy

another good fish is the platy sell for a good two to three dollars depending on age and kind but will eat anything including young so be careful.

then we have mollies which are just like platties but usually are less colorful.

the next kind are swordtails again just like platties but will be more expensive sometimes and are a little harder to breed.

and last easy kind are killifish but lay hundreds of eggs I have learned if you sell them as eggs or newborns they are sold for more because they are a annual fish and eat everything but sell for three to four dollars.
thats true but if u can get a platy and molly to breed that is like 6 dollars. they are very rarer. it is actually easy to breed them but hard to keep them alive.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #5

another good fish to breed are dwarf puffer fish they are brakish fish though so you will need more salt they sell for a good twenty bucks sometimes I have only bred them twice but they can be real pains in butt
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #6

yes I have bred platties with mollies and platties with swordtails to try to get more exotic fish I have done it a ton, over twenty times they sell for more, butt are hard to keep, unless you use wildcaught for some reason I have had more luck with, store bought ones are almost always sterile sadly.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf puffers are FW.

Rams will probably give you the best return if you're looking to make money. Also consider shrimp. I get $1 a piece for my RCS on Craigslist. If you get the yellow or the blue morphs, you can probably get more money.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Im my self am breeding rams and are pretty easy fish to breed but rewuire a bit of sustataning, if you want i could go down how to breed them on a PM.

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

If your looking to make money believe me STAY AWAY from swordtails, mollies, and platies. Yes they sell for $3 apiece but they are so common you'll be lucky if you get the store to take them for store credit. Something more exotic is a good idea just don't go over your head. I'm going to probably setup a dwarf puffer 10 gallon with say 2-4 of them. Look into breeding them.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam61097
another good fish to breed are dwarf puffer fish they are brakish fish though so you will need more salt they sell for a good twenty bucks sometimes I have only bred them twice but they can be real pains in butt
dwarf puffers are 100% freshwater but can withstand some salt. But 100% freshwater!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #11

Oh and dwarf Gouramis !
Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dwarf puffers sound nice, I never really see them at the lfs thanks
Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do you breed them
Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan5359

dwarf puffers are 100% freshwater but can withstand some salt. But 100% freshwater!
I breed them they won't survive in freshwater for breeding and the rest of their life I have some that are 20 plus years old and still breed so maybe you could put them in freshwater but best results have always been in brackish.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #15

i have lots of mollies, you want? lol... i wish i could get 25-50 cents for em, so they dont end up as food
Old 03-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to breed fish to support your hobby start with something that will at least give you a decent return. I breed super red BN pleco's, sell unsexed juvies for $20/each or $100/6. Since a young female will produce 40-50 eggs each spawn, and more as she grows larger, it doesn't take too long to get a decent return on the investment for breeding stock.
I saw an auction for a proven breeding pair on aquabid last week. The bid went up to $257 and the reserve price still wasn't met. I have about a dozen sexable size now, and just moved 50+ ~1.5" juvies from the 30 into a 33 long for further growout last week. There's another brood of smaller/younger (~1") still in the 30, and at least one of the females will likely spawn again shortly.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't overlook aquatic plants for sale either.

A small square of java moss can quickly turn into many small squares that you can sell to lfs for more than you get for the most exotic live bearers.

That is just one example of an easy one you can grow in a window with old aquarium water but without an aquarium.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone right now I'm leaning toward the red BN's but feel free to suggest different fish thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kribensis? They raise their own fry for a time and protect them so they're somewhat easy.

I would say neons but they're commercially bred in Asia so you won't get a lot for them.

Pricing is basically related to how difficult they are to breed (except guppies/platies etc which should be sold for about £1 instead of £3.

Tags
breed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com