Medium dificulty fish to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forester

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all i was wondering what are some fish that can breed in a 20-30g tank that i could actually make some cash out of to pay for my future +240g tank. I have 4 20g's or 3 20g's and a 30g I am willing to devote to breeding and I can probably get more if needed. I started a thread about breeding keyhole cichlids but so far I think I'd rather breed something else cause the LFS's around
here will only give me like a dollar unless I grow them out a lot. Thanks for the advice.

Forester said:
Hi all i was wondering what are some fish that can breed in a 20-30g tank that i could actually make some cash out of to pay for my future +240g tank. I have 4 20g's or 3 20g's and a 30g I am willing to devote to breeding and I can probably get more if needed. I started a thread about breeding keyhole cichlids but so far I think I'd rather breed something else cause the LFS's around
here will only give me like a dollar unless I grow them out a lot. Thanks for the advice.

Mollies are good and about $3.00 each. Mollies can have up to 200 fry at once. If u wanted to stop them from breeding good luck trying.

guppies sell for a bit if you breed more exotic kinds like lyre tail and the snakeskin or cobweb guppy

another good fish is the platy sell for a good two to three dollars depending on age and kind but will eat anything including young so be careful.

then we have mollies which are just like platties but usually are less colorful.

the next kind are swordtails again just like platties but will be more expensive sometimes and are a little harder to breed.

and last easy kind are killifish but lay hundreds of eggs I have learned if you sell them as eggs or newborns they are sold for more because they are a annual fish and eat everything but sell for three to four dollars.

true

guppies sell for a bit if you breed more exotic kinds like lyre tail and the snakeskin or cobweb guppy

another good fish is the platy sell for a good two to three dollars depending on age and kind but will eat anything including young so be careful.

then we have mollies which are just like platties but usually are less colorful.

the next kind are swordtails again just like platties but will be more expensive sometimes and are a little harder to breed.

and last easy kind are killifish but lay hundreds of eggs I have learned if you sell them as eggs or newborns they are sold for more because they are a annual fish and eat everything but sell for three to four dollars.

thats true but if u can get a platy and molly to breed that is like 6 dollars. they are very rarer. it is actually easy to breed them but hard to keep them alive.

another good fish to breed are dwarf puffer fish they are brakish fish though so you will need more salt they sell for a good twenty bucks sometimes I have only bred them twice but they can be real pains in butt

yes I have bred platties with mollies and platties with swordtails to try to get more exotic fish I have done it a ton, over twenty times they sell for more, butt are hard to keep, unless you use wildcaught for some reason I have had more luck with, store bought ones are almost always sterile sadly.

Dwarf puffers are FW.

Rams will probably give you the best return if you're looking to make money. Also consider shrimp. I get $1 a piece for my RCS on Craigslist. If you get the yellow or the blue morphs, you can probably get more money.

If your looking to make money believe me STAY AWAY from swordtails, mollies, and platies. Yes they sell for $3 apiece but they are so common you'll be lucky if you get the store to take them for store credit. Something more exotic is a good idea just don't go over your head. I'm going to probably setup a dwarf puffer 10 gallon with say 2-4 of them. Look into breeding them.

Liam61097 said:
another good fish to breed are dwarf puffer fish they are brakish fish though so you will need more salt they sell for a good twenty bucks sometimes I have only bred them twice but they can be real pains in butt

dwarf puffers are 100% freshwater but can withstand some salt. But 100% freshwater!

Dylan5359 said:
dwarf puffers are 100% freshwater but can withstand some salt. But 100% freshwater!

I breed them they won't survive in freshwater for breeding and the rest of their life I have some that are 20 plus years old and still breed so maybe you could put them in freshwater but best results have always been in brackish.

If you want to breed fish to support your hobby start with something that will at least give you a decent return. I breed super red BN pleco's, sell unsexed juvies for $20/each or $100/6. Since a young female will produce 40-50 eggs each spawn, and more as she grows larger, it doesn't take too long to get a decent return on the investment for breeding stock.
I saw an auction for a proven breeding pair on aquabid last week. The bid went up to $257 and the reserve price still wasn't met. I have about a dozen sexable size now, and just moved 50+ ~1.5" juvies from the 30 into a 33 long for further growout last week. There's another brood of smaller/younger (~1") still in the 30, and at least one of the females will likely spawn again shortly.

Don't overlook aquatic plants for sale either.

A small square of java moss can quickly turn into many small squares that you can sell to lfs for more than you get for the most exotic live bearers.

That is just one example of an easy one you can grow in a window with old aquarium water but without an aquarium.

Kribensis? They raise their own fry for a time and protect them so they're somewhat easy.

I would say neons but they're commercially bred in Asia so you won't get a lot for them.

Pricing is basically related to how difficult they are to breed (except guppies/platies etc which should be sold for about £1 instead of £3.

Back
Top Bottom