Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Mickey mouse platy babies

I got some new mickey mouse platys. Went to feed them yesterday and noticed babies everywhere. I know they will be eaten so I moved as many as I could. How long do I have to keep them separate from the big fish?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Until they are big enough not to get eaten . Depends on what other fish you have in with them . I only keep Platies so it doesn't take long till the adults can't eat the babies . Helps if you have a lot of plants for the little ones to hide in...lol

Old 02-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Until they are big enough not to get eaten . Depends on what other fish you have in with them . I only keep Platies so it doesn't take long till the adults can't eat the babies . Helps if you have a lot of plants for the little ones to hide in...lol
I have 4 MMP and a betta. The Betta is old though and he won't be around much longer. So you think like 1-2 weeks?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

May take 4-6 weeks . What kind of tank do you have the babies in now ? If you can feed them 3 or 4 times a day they will grow faster . I just grind up flake food small as dust till they get a little bigger then they can eat the flakes in a little larger pieces . You can watch them and see when they can eat larger pieces .
Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Frequent large water changes combined with heavy feeding will allow for the fastest growth.

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 5 gallon I moved them to. No filter (isn't working), but has a heater. Staying at 76F. How often should I do water change, and what %?

They just started eating yesterday.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would probably change a gallon or so a day if you don't have a filter . If I were you I would get a breeder box so you can keep the babies in your main tank with filtration . Hope that makes sense .
Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I would probably change a gallon or so a day if you don't have a filter . If I were you I would get a breeder box so you can keep the babies in your main tank with filtration . Hope that makes sense .
That does make sense. I've never had a fish that give live birth so this is all new to me.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well,as long as you have platies you will have babies so don't stress if you lose this batch .
Old 02-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You can buy a small cheap filter for your small tank, I bought one for my 5 gallon shrimp tank from amazon. Better than changing the water every day

BETTA 150 Aquarium Fish Tank Internal Filter

Tags
babies, ick, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com