Microworms VS Brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was reading online and narrowed the live fry food down to microworms or brine shrimp.

Anyone know which is more cost effective?

Also is there any way I can get my own microworms for free? Is there any "DIY" way to start a culture?

Microworms are much cheaper once you get a culture you just keep it moist and add oatmeal. I got mine off ebay but since then I have actually seen them on craigslist.
Are you planning to use it for fry? There is other live food that can be used.

Yea I'm planning on using it for fire mouth cichlid fry.

I tried brine shrimp and all the fry died for some reason o_O...

So I was looking for something cheap and re-generatable (if that's a word XD)

Other than those two what other life foods can I do?

brine shrimp are not renewable. people use bbs not for the shrimp but the egg sack thats still attached. i would go with microworms. just buy a starter kit off aquabid.

I was reading online and narrowed the live fry food down to microworms or brine shrimp.

Anyone know which is more cost effective?

Also is there any way I can get my own microworms for free? Is there any "DIY" way to start a culture?

Newly hatched brine shrimp are consistantly the best food for newborn fish. They do however cost more than microworms. Once you have the hang of microworms and have sustainable cultures you are set. But they do not have the same nutritional value as brine shrimp.

You can buy 15 oz cans of shrimp cysts on aquabid .com at a reasonable price and often you can aquire microworm cultures as well.

For cichlid fry I would go with the shrimp, but hey, that's just me.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom