Missing shrimp eggs....again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beglely

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well this is the second time this has occured to me. I had a berried tiger shrimp and now she has released her eggs...however there is no trace of any offspring in the aquarium--its like she released the eggs and that was it. No baby shrimp in the tank at all. Any idea where they went???

how do you know if they were fertile or not? she was berried when i bought her and had been carrying the eggs for over 2 weeks now

i should say no longer fertile. they hatch or she drops eggs no longer good. the shrimp are also very small. if they did hatch it might take some time before you can see them. mostly clear small shrimp. give it some time. whats your water like?

I actually dont know what the pH is--its the one water test I dont have. Im assuming that plays a factor in their breeding tho

Well when i moved home from college i found a juvi tiger shrimp in my tank but it died after the move. I had another berried female drop eggs about 3 weeks ago and Ive already found 3 to 4 baby tigers in my java moss. The lfs next to my house has tigers, cherries, and crystal reds in stock so tomorrow im going to go pick up a few to add variety to my bloodlines and increase my numbers.

Actually the tigers and cherry will not, as the tiger shrimp is of the caridina species, while the cherry shrimp belong to the neocaridina species. Now if I were to mix the crystal reds in there I would get a cross between tiger and crystal shrimp, which is why im waiting to get crystals until I get a tank for them alone. Thanks tho!

Edit: caridina is the genus, not the species.

Back
Top Bottom