Mixing Killifish Species? New tank - other ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hannahpops

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

So.. I have a 4ft 125L tank that im currently in the process of deciding what to do with... I have gotten as far as buying a load of dragon stone, and have some ideas on a mossy aquascape. What im currently undecided on is the tanks inhabitants.

Something I have had before (in a small-fish tetra based community) which I like the idea of is potentially having is a lampeye killifish tank. I think these are stunning when kept in a shoal under the right light. This then led me on the train of thought of potentially breeding them and keeping up a decent shoal size, which I have read should be easy enough if kept species only? However, I was wondering about the possibility of having a few clown killifish in the tank also, I know they are compatible in terms of size and temperament but I don't know if they would upset each others breeding? I could potentially use a spawning mop in a separate breeding tank but would just be interested in peoples thoughts and whether anyone has kept this combination before? I know its generally frowned upon to mix breeding between the species so this is something I would definitely avoid.

If all else fails I might just stick to my original idea and have a species only tank - in which case, anyone know if they would breed ok without any eggs or anything being moved to a separate tank? I plan on the tank being mostly hardscape with quite a few moss varieties.

Other ideas for inhabitants welcome, although I think im pretty sold on the lampeyes, I seem to have a bit of a soft spot for them. Definitely want to create a nice shoal.

I hope that all makes sense - im not always the best at putting thoughts into writing!

Back
Top Bottom