Mollie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deenalove

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have 3 female Mollies and 2 male. The females get really huge then a week later no more belly. I wonder if they had their fry and they were eaten in the night or what? One make is very pushy and chases the females, and other male, around. I am not sure what is going on. I would like some fry :) Any advice would be great. I have a 1 gallon mini bow for the fry, maybe I should move one female to it at a time? I just dont want to stress them out. I have never ad mollies before.

Also I have 3 ghost shrimp in there as well. Maybe when the fry drop, the shrimp and algae eaters get to them? I have not seen any signs of labor so I am very confused. Thanks in advance

its very possible that they ate the fry. best thing is to make more hiding spots for the fry. 1 gallon wont help much long term.

sometimes they get fat with eggs inside her then all of the sudden skinny then slowly fat again, i know that the eggs inside her make her huge, then the eggs in her hatch making her a little skinnier, then as the babies grow it make her fat again then she will have them, it will be about 2-3 weeks before she has em but you will witness her 'gaining weight' best of luck and remember floating plants are a MUST i put em in one end of the aquarium that way when there are babies i take my net and scoop them all up at once including the plants then pick the plants out by hand then you have the babies left in the net then you can put them where you want them

i dont think that the alge eaters and gosht shrimp would have any sort of intrest in the mollies' fry. but i guess you never know cause in the wild there are alll sorts of food shortages it might be in there genes to take advantge of the fry when there are some but i have no idea about that as im a noob. but best of luck! im hopping to start breeding my mollies. i only have 2 right now but i am planning on growing lol. any advice?:D

I had a molly give birth in a 29 gallon tank and I was not expecting it all all, so I had no where to put the babies. The two mollies ate the babies in a couple minutes, very fast. The ones that did not get eaten where still killed by the mollies just biting at them. (not fun to watch)

I started a thread when I first got my ghost shrimp and they will eat anything that fits in there mouth. They find a fry swimming by them and snatch it up.

dang! not what i would have thought at all. this is something that needs to be researched and mass published. as shrimp are small and seemingly harmless. and GOSHT SHRIMP! even the name is lilke so obvious it would be like :sleeping: wake up :jump: get the pic :rolleyes: nice thank mate. this is how it would go. :):eek::(:twisted:loll. i just wanted to use lots of pics and stuff....

It's a livebearer thing. As mentioned before he belly will look like it's gonna pop one day and then the next it's small. Keep an eye out she still might be pregnant. One gallon will really stress her out so don't keep her in there for more than a day or so.

The ghost shrimp might eat the fry if the ghost shrimp are large enough, but I doubt it.

After she has her babies separate her. With that sex ratio you're gonna have a lot of chances for fry! :)

Good luck! :D

agrees good luck :invasion: but how big is big? i think my molly is pregnat and so i put her in a nice 2 gallon all on her own. she has a heather but no filter..... and she has some plants there

She needs a heater, the aquarium water will get to cold and fluctuate, you can get a breeding trap at the lfs for 5 bucks and put her in it in the community tank

She needs a heater, the aquarium water will get to cold and fluctuate, you can get a breeding trap at the lfs for 5 bucks and put her in it in the community tank

no she has a heater and im not gonna put her back in the dirty tank. the tank with a filter is dirty and i cant get it clean!
T_T_T_T_T_T_T__T but shes doing fine on her own so far. and the heater is rather small made for small tanks and stuff. plus my other fish are goldfish. and goldfish are MEAN! they suck out fishes eyeballs!:splat::tgv:

Goldfish also dirty tanks very quickly.

NO KIDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAD TO CHANGE THE FILTER AFTER JUST A WEEK AND IT WAS THE WORST ITS EVER BEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus all of the walls just wont get clean. but my mollie is doing good i should put the other mollie in there for now... unless its safe to risk a betta in there with her. also i need someone to show me the stages of mollie pregnancy. i realy need that since i dont have anything to realy go on other than oh she looks fat. blah blah blah! i dont want her to be in there without a filter for a long time though so i dont know if its good for her to be in there. i know its beter than the other tank since its filthy and hers is squeky clean.

If you buy a Sponge Filter online they are cheap (Only around $6) and can't suck up the fry. I'll try and find some molly pregnancy pics.

If you buy a Sponge Filter online they are cheap (Only around $6) and can't suck up the fry. I'll try and find some molly pregnancy pics.

thanks. and just in case shes not pregers and is now unhappy to be alone i put her mate in there. and they still are freaking out that they can see reflections in the glass cus its clean......... yeah thats how it is.... also my cay is hiding and i want to know where the heck shes gone to allready:p

I couldn't find a image of a silver so here is a pregnant creamsicle:
4404_aquarium_022_1.jpg

I couldn't find a image of a silver so here is a pregnant creamsicle:
4404_aquarium_022_1.jpg
ok then i dont have a pregnat mollie. but anyway shes in with a male now although the male is black. colors dont realy matter do they? i mean they are still mollies...

Back
Top Bottom