Mollie breeding questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone! I picked up five Dalmatian Mollies at the LFS and I have a few questions:

1. Breeding. From what I read, they will breed. What are their matting behavior? From what I can tell, there are 3 males and 2 females, but I could be wrong!

2. Could they breed with my Balloon Mollie?

3. Will other fish eat the fry? Is it inhuman to leave the fry in the tank as food?

Thanks!!!

Hey everyone! I picked up five Dalmatian Mollies at the LFS and I have a few questions:

1. Breeding. From what I read, they will breed. What are their matting behavior? From what I can tell, there are 3 males and 2 females, but I could be wrong!

2. Could they breed with my Balloon Mollie?

3. Will other fish eat the fry? Is it inhuman to leave the fry in the tank as food?

Thanks!!!

They will breed with your balloon Mollie but you should get more females or the males will harass them to death. No its not inhuman to leave the fry as food.

I agree with the above. Seeing that the males have more color and finage you may be able to trade them back to the store for females. One male is enough, trust me.

Leaving fry to fend for themselves is perfectly acceptable and common practice. I actually raise three types of fish that act as primary food sources. I am raising brooder stock swordtails for a summer project and have several Endlers and Least Killie females in the rearing tanks to produce fry as live food. This has helped my 60-80 day old female sword fry to top 2" already and they should be 4" by May when they go outside to breed. These girls will be dropping 50-80 fry at a shot this summer. (The females swords will all be in breeding traps).

If you ever want to raise a group of fry and don't have a ton of money or equipment just P.M. me and I'll tell you how.

I agree with the above. Seeing that the males have more color and finage you may be able to trade them back to the store for females. One male is enough, trust me.

Leaving fry to fend for themselves is perfectly acceptable and common practice. I actually raise three types of fish that act as primary food sources. I am raising brooder stock swordtails for a summer project and have several Endlers and Least Killie females in the rearing tanks to produce fry as live food. This has helped my 60-80 day old female sword fry to top 2" already and they should be 4" by May when they go outside to breed. These girls will be dropping 50-80 fry at a shot this summer. (The females swords will all be in breeding traps).

If you ever want to raise a group of fry and don't have a ton of money or equipment just P.M. me and I'll tell you how.

Thanks for the reply! If I need any help I will definatly PM you! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom