Mollies for Genetics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glass Catzilla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am doing an "experiment" with molly genetics by crossing 2 varieties.

To start, I have:

1 male Creamsicle Molly,
molly1.jpg

and 2 female Dalmation Mollies,
molly2.jpg

a Birth Trap.

The possibillities could be endless.

Photos are NOT mine.

Following this one for sure! Are they virgin females or gave they been exposed to this particular male for a while? Or are we going to have to wait 6 months for results? This is cool!

I have a female Virgin Black. I raised her from a fry. She is still virgin. I got rid of all my molly's shes's the only one left. I have her in with some Glofish. She ate an entire planted tank. I have another molly or Platy fry given to me. Its half black and half white. Looks like a panda. We'll see in a few months once she is grown up a bit.

I am doing an "experiment" with molly genetics by crossing 2 varieties.

To start, I have:

1 male Creamsicle Molly,
View attachment 147438

and 2 female Dalmation Mollies,
View attachment 147439

a Birth Trap.

The possibillities could be endless.

Photos are NOT mine.

Just remember, all Mollies available today (I believe) are genetically linked to the original wild Green Sailfin Mollies. I'm pretty sure no other color or fin type are natural colors or found in the wild.
Many years ago, I let some very expensive Honell Red/Black Tuxedo Deltatail Guppies interbreed for a few generations and the end result was the fish reverted back to their wild colors. That could be your experiment, seeing how many generations it takes to get your mollies to go back to being green sailfins. Just a thought (y)

My male calico Creamsicle doesn't like Dalmatian mollies! He never showed any interest in any dalmatian female in my tank Haha. The guy at the pet store told me creamsicles won't breed with Dalmatians.. I don't believe that, never heard that one before.. I hope your male likes Dalmatians! Maybe you'll get calico babies! :) I'm lookin forward to pics.

unless you know for sure the female have never been exposed 2 another male, it may be a few months, up 2 six, before you see fry from him... good luck tho! im working on creating my own line of fancy guppies from wild type feeders...

Back
Top Bottom