Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mollies will eat their young!

I have read in countless places that mollies won't eat their young or the fry of other mollies, but from my experience that is completely untrue.

I have a quaranteen tank, that I put 5 new mollies in and just checked again today and saw two fry swimming around. Scooped them out and have them in a small 2 gal. From the other time my mollies have had fry, they have never had under 20 fry at a time. I have some hiding places in the QT tank but only have two fry left....so the others must have gotten eaten.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
but from my experience that is completely untrue.
Quote:
have some hiding places in the QT tank but only have two fry left....so the others must have gotten eaten.
ok i dont understand lol. are u saying they do or dont? becasue they definatly do. i have sat there and watched my mollies and guppies just demolish a whole new batch of fry. they are hardly out before they are trying to eat them.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think I worded that wrong, but could have. If only 2 out of 20 made it, and probably only because I caught them in time, that means they definitely eat their young. Plus as well I have seen the mother chase after and chomp on her own fry....just not this time. This time I'm using my vastly advanced power of deduction.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol sorry i just cant read. i saw words that wernt there lol. where did u see an article that said they wont? becasue that is definatly untrue. just get lots of javamoss and other dense plants for the fry to hide in if u really want to keep them. i havent been very succesful with mollies breeding becasue i dont use salt in my tank. hope u manage to catch lots more though
Old 04-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
IME mollies will eat their young rather quickly after birth.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ya, I'm trying to grow a lot of gava moss in my main tank, I didn't even know that one of the new ones were pregnant and I put in the QT tank, then the next day saw two swimming around. Any new fry in my one tank have a good chance to live as there is a seperator they can swim through and some java moss to hide in.

I've read it a couple places that mollies aren't likely to eat their young, if I come across them again, I'll post the links.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Big Ben
they definitely do eat their fry I only found 5 in my tank today in a tank taht has 4 mollies and 2 corys.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just as a note, I had about a week and a 1/2 year old fry that ventured through the seperator and lived fine with the adult mollies for about 4-5 days, then got eaten. So even at that stage it could be too young to keep them together.

Tags
eat, mollies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com