molly babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I told everyone about my baby mollies- here's a summation for those who don't know- A week ago I got eleven baby mollies free from the fish store. I just noticed them swimming around and the guy gave them to me. I put them in a breeding net in my 29 gallon fish tank and have been feeding them four to six times a day with hikari baby bites.

Unfortunately, there are only six left. I am kind of bummed, but the six seem to be strong and healthy, there haven't been any deaths for a few days. I only changed a little water when I did my pwc on Monday because I was afraid a change in water chemistry might hurt the fry, but my filter conked out for a few hours today so I have to do another pwc tomorrow. Other than trying to match the temperature of the new water to the temperature of the tank exactly, is there anything I can do to make the pwc eaier for the babies? I really don't want to lose any more fry.

I have a pregnant platy in a breeding trap. She looks ready to explode. I got a sponge filter to convert my five gallon into a rry tank but didn't want to move her tonight ebcause she looks so close to giving birth. If she gives birth, when should I move the fry to the fry tank? I know I'm jumping the gun a little here, :) I will let you guys know when she gives birth. I can't wait.....

The pwc itself will not harm your fry at all. Make sure to add dechlorinator. I suspect that the additional feedings may be causing a slight ammonia spike and that may be the cause of the fry loss. When doing the pwc just make sure no fry go up the gravel vac.

Moving the platy fry as soon as possible is better than leaving them in the main tank. Keep doing the pwc's and if you hve an airstone for the fry since your filter conked out, I'd use it until you can get another filter.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Updates:

Molly fry: I think I know what has been killing them. I was washing my hands in anti-bacterial soap before feeding them. I think that traces of the soap were getting into the food. Since I stared feeding with a plastic fork, no more deaths have occurred. But now I'm down to four. They are now happily swimming in my new fry tank. They seem to love the extra room and are really lively.

And guess what? My platy gave birth! Just five though. Is it odd for a fish to have such a small birth? Two were stillborn, but the three others are also in the fry tank now.

Just wanted to ask- my platy is still large. Is there any chance she may still be pregnant? I took her out of the breeding trap six hours after she gave birth when she didn't drop anymore. Do they space them out at all? Should I put her back in? Please let me know.

I am so excited to have my first birth!

Congrats on the platy fry, yes she may still be pregnant. She very well might give birth to more over the next day or so. Whether or not you put her back in is up to you, just watch her closely for any signs of stress.

And yes the anti-bacterial soap can cause death in your fish. If you wash with anti-bacterial soap make sure to rinse, rinse and rinse. It can kill adult fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom