Molly baby advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there, my Molly looks pregnant however I'm really not sure!

image-184271602.jpg

image-184271602.jpg

Im pretty sure it is as shops have said it is I have a breeding net ready in the tank and food. I need to know how soon, how much, how big! Also just some tips and stuff. It would be fantastic if I had answers thanks. ??

Attachments

• image-2563794122.jpg
    image-2563794122.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 64
I have had many pregnant mollies before and I cant really tell from the pics but can you see a gravid spot? right under the belly there should be a darkish area and as she gets more and more pregnant the spot will get darker and darker. Also the day before she is ready to drop the fry her stomach should look like a box. No lie, the ends should have almost 90 degree angles. Thats how i knew I should put her in the fry box. Keep her out of the breeder net until you know she is in labor because it will cause unnecessary stress on her. Once the fry have been dropped (which can take up to 2-4 hours) you can place the mother back in the tank and start raising the babies! Also there will be a couple fry that will not make it and you can just throw the dead ones in the tank for the other fish to eat. Its really good for them. You should expect babies within a month or so.

Another way to know when she is almost ready is if she starts hanging around the heater. Then it should only be 2-3 days. That's how I know when mine is ready. Unfortunately, I was waiting until she stopped eatting (another method to know: some livebearers stop eatting a day before delivering), this is how I used to know when my guppies were ready. Needless to say, it didn't work on my molly today and she had them in the tank last night. I caught roughly 35 which is a good number. I'd light to have seen how many I would have gotten if I would've put her in a breeder box. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom