Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Molly birthing question

There are currently 2 pregnant Mollys in my 10 gallon QT, along with a non-pregnant female molly, a Serpae Tetra and a Harlequin Rasbora. The two pregnant ones were pregnant when I purchased them, as they have had no contact with a male Molly since I got them. Ive had them for about 5 weeks now, and Im waiting to move them over to the Main Tank until after they give birth.
Last night while doing a PWC I found one fry. There isnt a lot of places for fry to hide in the QT, so either there were more that got eaten, or it was the only one. Both of the pregnant Mollys still look very much pregnant and at no time has either shown the "reclusive" behavior that Ive been told means they are about to give birth.

So I guess my questions are:
Do they always get "reclusive"?
How long does a typical birthing process take?
Are they able to start and stop the process at will?
How long after giving birth should it take before they stop looking like theyre pregnant?

They dont appear stressed in any way. They are both quite active and bright and greet me every time I walk past in hopes that Im going to feed them.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
There are currently 2 pregnant Mollys in my 10 gallon QT, along with a non-pregnant female molly, a Serpae Tetra and a Harlequin Rasbora. The two pregnant ones were pregnant when I purchased them, as they have had no contact with a male Molly since I got them. Ive had them for about 5 weeks now, and Im waiting to move them over to the Main Tank until after they give birth.
Last night while doing a PWC I found one fry. There isnt a lot of places for fry to hide in the QT, so either there were more that got eaten, or it was the only one. Both of the pregnant Mollys still look very much pregnant and at no time has either shown the "reclusive" behavior that Ive been told means they are about to give birth.

So I guess my questions are:
Do they always get "reclusive"?
How long does a typical birthing process take?
Are they able to start and stop the process at will?
How long after giving birth should it take before they stop looking like theyre pregnant?

They dont appear stressed in any way. They are both quite active and bright and greet me every time I walk past in hopes that Im going to feed them.
If they still eat, they r not ready to give birth yet. When they are almost ready, they will stop eating, hide near the heater or the warmest place in the tank, and the anal black spot will be very large. If the Molly isn't black, could u post a pic of her anal area?
Also, livebearers can hold the males sperm for as long as they want so they basically can start and stop the process at will.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are GoldDust Mollys... mostly gold/orange in color with some black spots here and there. I'll try to get pictures, but they move around so much its difficult to get a clear shot.

The fry I found last night had to come from one of them. The third Molly is very clearly not pregnant.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

So here's a couple different angles of the same Molly. The other pregnant molly looks pretty much the same except a smidge smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	176789   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	176790  

Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just had a mollie give birth a few days ago. She was preggo for about a month and was giving birth over 2 days. She did eat during this time and acted normally. All the fry were eaten except for one which I now have in a separate tank, feeding it infusiora
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhendrix007 View Post
I just had a mollie give birth a few days ago. She was preggo for about a month and was giving birth over 2 days. She did eat during this time and acted normally. All the fry were eaten except for one which I now have in a separate tank, feeding it infusiora
Did your Molly go back to looking skinny/non-pregnant right away? Or did it take a few days?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah she was skinny. I could see the shadow of the last fry and when it came out she was skinny within the hour. If yours is still fat then she still has fry. Mine gave birth over a little over 2 days and didn't slim down until the last was out
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to know... thanks.
I'll just have to keep a close eye on the situation and see what develops. ONE of them must be ready if Ive already seen a fry.

Im not looking to breed or anything... I just dont want a bunch of fry loose in my main tank. Too many places to hide and too easy to get sucked up into the filtration. Im hoping to stock some Bumblebee Catfish (SA) in the next few months. Once I have them in my tank then I'll feel more confident future fry that are birthed inside the main tank will become food for the cats.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I doubt you'll have any survive... They'll all be eaten. Mmmmm protein!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhendrix007 View Post
I doubt you'll have any survive... They'll all be eaten. Mmmmm protein!
Bye, bye fry. Lol. That bumble bee cat will have a feast.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth, molly, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com