Molly due soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jellyflesh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
She's "squaring off" and rather round, any tips to tell when she's ready so i dont have to keep her in the breeding cage too long?

Once she has squared off she should give birth. When you have her in the breed ing box only keep her in there for a day tops. The let her settle in the tank for a day or so then repeat.

I generally keep a wad of Javamoss in the tank for the fry to hide in. (Christ mas moss and homework and anacharis work well too.)the scoop them up when I see them.

Good luck!

She's "squaring off" and rather round, any tips to tell when she's ready so i dont have to keep her in the breeding cage too long?
I find it's usually a couple of days later. I look for other signs for mine like, hiding in the bottom of the tank or around the heater. Also when she stops eating, that's my queue to put her in the breeder. If she's calm in the breeder i would leave her there..Try and keep the lights, air-stone off as much as possible, as this will keep the stress to a minimum. If she feels too stressed, she can hold off the birth or may even abort. They have to feel relaxed to give birth. That's why they usually give birth late night/early morning....

She finally dropped! Now trying to catch all the fry..

Attachments

• image-2864997840.jpg
    image-2864997840.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 58
Any reason this one fry is so fat?

Attachments

• image-3097048473.jpg
    image-3097048473.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 50
I wouldn't be too worried, i would take that as a good sign. What are you feeding them??

First bites crushed blood worms and finely crushed color enhancing flakes about 4 times a day

Back
Top Bottom